1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Choice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dirtbiker, 18 Oct 2004.

1. dirtbiker

dirtbiker What's a Dremel?

Hi there,

I'm in the market for a new laptop for college use and i'm getting confused:

I've been looking at this Centrino based one (the £645 one) This has the obvious benefits of being lighter, thinner and smaller and comes with WIFI. Its also got a far better battery life.

But then i found this AMD based one (also the £645 one) which gives you much more power for the money.

I'd like it to be lightweight, as i have to carry it to and from school, but i dont want to lose out too much on the power side.

I'll be using it for light rendering (sketchup), MS publisher, films, music and web browsing.

I've got a PC for gaming so thats not an issue.

Which would you go for?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Centrino, no contenders.

3. ginguskahn

ginguskahn What's a Dremel?

What he said :)

4. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

What makes Centrino so good?

5. dirtbiker

dirtbiker What's a Dremel?

Thats exactly what i want to know, the centrinos have low core voltages, hence their low clock speeds, but is this reflected in their processor power?

Thanks for the input people. :D

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

More than powerful enough, long battery life when coupled with the right battery. I can play farcry on my 1.7M (9600pro gfx too). Desktop cpus rehashed into lappys give a battery life of about 30seconds, and its an intel too so you know itll never give you any jip.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Go for an IBM Centrino laptop tbh; all the benefits of centrino with total indestructability brought from IBM :D

[edit]This looks to be your best bet if you're spending good money on a laptop really. :D It's got everything you'd need (except a DVD+-RW which are quite a bit extra), including 802.11G Wireless [/edit]