1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Laptop for student coding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wsmccusker, 26 Nov 2012.

1. wsmccusker

wsmccusker New Member

I am currently a student and my laptop is rather i'll suited to be taken into uni for work purposes as it is a heavy 17" beast with a failing battery.

The main thing I intend to do on it would be to dual boot linux and do some Java and C programming on it.

I have been looking at prospective machines and I have been distracted by the lust for an ultrabook - so sleek and sexy you know. But I am starting to come to my senses and realise that they are not the best option so I pose a few questions,

- Should I get an ultrabook?
    and 2
    - if not, which processor should I be aiming for?

A friend of mine has trouble compiling code on his netbook with an atom processor but would this be fixed if I bought an AMD machine instead? Should I go for a lower end "ultrabook" with a low i3 processor or should I look fr one with AMD bravos or trinity machines?

2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 #noob

Rather than processor I would first off look at size and weight, what size screen is best for you.

For example I take my 15" laptop to uni most days, however I want to go down to a 13" as i find it is too big and heavy at the end of the day.

What will you be coding? Will you be running vms for testing various different enviroments?

Hard Drive space?

3. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

alternatively you can use your old laptop as a backend for compiling at home, if the school proxy allows it.

4. wsmccusker

wsmccusker New Member

The coding is just run of the mill C and java at the moment. Storage space isn't an issue as I have a large laptop at home from a few years ago. A gaming pc too and a multitude of external hard drives. The main concern for me would be boot times which is one of the reasons I want my own pc at uni as the ones we have take half the lab time to actually boot and login. Also it needs to be able to compile the code fast as in my friends case it happens regularly on his netbook that the compile times are above 2 mins when a core 2 duo desktop takes seconds for simple programs which really just do a few calculations and output the result. A Brazos cpu should work as I know they are generally faster than the atom variety of netbook but I was thinking more of a small laptop or ultrabook kind if power.

Sent from Bittech Android app

5. wsmccusker

wsmccusker New Member

Basicly with my use cases in mind is an ultrabook worth the money or should I get a high end netbook or low end small light laptop?

Sent from Bittech Android app

6. Durd

Durd New Member

If you're coding the first thing I'd look at is screen resolution. You don't want to be doing it on a 1366x768 screen.

7. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

An SSD would boost boot and compilation times quite a bit.

8. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I don't go to uni or code, but I have to travel around with my laptop alot, its on my back for about 30% of every day as I hop between sites, I have found 14" to be the best compromise for carrying it around all the time and it being practical in size to use. 1600x900 res is alright, but whenever I am in my office I do hook up to a 20 and a 27 monitor.

9. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

I find coding perfectly comfortable on a 1366x768 screen, provided it's 14" or less. Granted, 1366x768 on a 15.6" screen isn't ideal but that's why most 15.6" laptops suck.

10. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I done my software engineering course using an Acer Aspire one Netbook. It had no problem compiling code. The only problem was running Android VM in eclipse. Booting from hibernate didn't take too long either. I would recommend sticking to 11" if possible. ASUS do a nice ultrabook based on intel pentium with a touchscreen. Can't remember the price but curry's had it.