1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laptop hard drive pin assignment

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lessthanjake, 8 May 2004.

1. lessthanjake

lessthanjake What's a Dremel?

does anybody know the pin assignment of a laptop drive as i salvaged a laptop drive from a rubbish box at work and was wondering if it has a chance of working before i buy an external enclosure the thing is 3 pins are missing the pins that are missing are in red
    if anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated

Last edited: 8 May 2004
  2. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

I believe that the 40 (39) pins on the left are the standard IDE cable pins, and the 4 on the right are what you get from a standard molex cable for power; one 12v, one 5v, and two grounds. Since there's always one pin blocked out in an IDE cable (keyed so you don't get it the wrong way round) I'd say that all the pins are there and that the HDD is good to try out.

3. lessthanjake

lessthanjake What's a Dremel?

thanks a lot i will try that out then

4. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

NO -Thats not correct... the 4 pins are for master/slave/cs.

if you count the pins there are 44 not 40 this is because the power is on the ribbon cable..

EG I have a IBM DTCA-23240 2.5inch drive. check the datasheet

http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/85256AB8006A31E587256A9D0071BD64/$file/dtca_spw.pdf

see pages 42-46 for pinouts.

missing pin = 20 = key.

41,42 = +5V, 43 = GND, 44 = reserved.

The best way to use this is buy a 2.5 - 3.5 drive adapter kit or a usb2 2.5 inch caddy (£10 for either at show I went to today).

5. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

OK, thanks for sorting that out. I tried googling to check out my info but didn't find anything in particular, I'd think that what he wanted to know (does the HDD have the right number of pins to use) was still answered correctly by me, so no harm done ;)

6. reflex_1

reflex_1 What's a Dremel?

the pins look ok but if you want to check before you buy a caddy just buy a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter and test it out of your pc if you don't have a lappy, they cost around £5 from an infamous auction site

7. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

8. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

i found this helpfull when i was working on an adapter:
    [​IMG]

and no it isnt mine, i have just re-hosted the picture, and i cant rember where it came from, so credit goes to the people in the copyright :p