1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Laptop - i5/i7 dedicated GPU 13-14" 6+ hour battery life

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DD_nVidia, 20 Feb 2012.

1. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Cannot recommend the U46SV highly enough, someone else has already left a link to my previous review, I think It'll fit all your criteria, Really do get 6hrs out of her on High performance browsing and working etc, bout 2 hours gaming, 10hrs on Power saving.

Have converted the Optical bay to a second hard drive bay with a 9.5mm high ODD adaptor. 2nd bay is Sata II so have my Force 3 in the main HDD slot and my 500GB HDD in the ODD bay. Machine does a nice job of powering down the HDD when not in use so 90% of the time the machine is silent.
    Really great machine, use it for hours everyday and it doesn't miss a beat. Intending to post a youtube video soon of it gaming but suffice to say it'll run pretty much anything at decent settings, not max for sure but often pretty high because the res is only 1366x768 :p

BF3 runs at Medium, High Textures, "Medium" Post AA, 4x AF etc,
    Skyrim at High w 4x AA,
    Crysis at a mix of Medium & High with 4x AA etc.

Other options are the cheaper Acer 5750G but you go up to 15.6" and lose battery life, or go the other way and get something like the Asus N55SF which is 15.6" not so great battery but a GT 555M. Either that or wait for Ivy Bridge / GTX 600M series

2. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Member

That sounds PERFECT!

Shove the 60GB SSD in the HDD Bay, lob the 500GB in the ODD bay.

Where did you get the converter, and how much?

Judging by how much battery life it gets I think I'd rather get a normal spare battery instead of converting the ODD to an extra battery. With SSD startup and shutdown speeds, swapping out the battery wouldn't take long.

I just need to sell the laptop I got for my birthday (got it the other day, my 21st today haha)

Toshiba P750-135 15.6 with the same specs as the Asus, but with double ram and less battery life. Selling it for £699 since its still brand new.

3. Madness_3d

ODD Adaptor

Personally upgraded my U46 to 8GB (cos Ram is so cheap at the mo), but yeah the machine really flies, would recommend it to anyone :thumb:

4. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Member

Sounds great! Any chance you could pm me or email me some picture of the ODD Adapter in?

Ddnvidia@gmail.com

5. Madness_3d

Swapped the cover with the Original Disk Drive one so it looks completely stock from the outside :)

6. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Member

Just sold it for £650.

Just need to find the cheapest place for that Asus one now in the uk.

7. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

As said in the link, I also cannot recommend the Asus U46-SV highly enough, got a Vertex 120GB in mine (retained the ODD, it's not my main PC so an extra HDD would be unnecessary) and it's great. The only thing I'd like is a DVI-D port on the side for use with a wider range of monitors (and better compatibility with my uni's monitors), but not many laptops cover that base.

As for battery life, easily 6-8 hours web browsing/programming/writing, and about 2 hours gaming. Just make sure whomever you purchase it from lists it with the 9 cell battery. It makes it marginally thicker, but the battery life doubles over the standard, so it's worth it. I think most if not all the UK ones include said battery anyway, so you should be ok there.

8. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Member

9. Madness_3d

Looks like the same just updated with the newer Sandybridge CPU's

10. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Member

Ah right, I thought they were all Sandy Bridge? both model numbers seem to be sandy bridge :S

Also, the Champagne colour. Is there any other choices? The one I seen months ago in PC world looked basically silvery?

Last edited: 25 Feb 2012
  11. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Member

Also, I've had a look and seen some ultrabooks and other thin and light 13/14" laptops with 1600x900 screens. I'd bloody kill for that on this. Any variations or models like it with similar specs but with the higher screen, or do you think it'd be possible to change the screen?

1600x900 on a 13/14" sounds perfect. 1680x1050 be better.

12. Madness_3d

Have looked and there's a Samsung with a lesser GPU and an LG which is only available in Asia. As far as swapping it goes it's a very thin panel I haven't yet had the screen apart to get the measurements

+ Mine is silver, I think the champagne is just silver tbh. And by newer sandybridge CPU's I mean its a later released chip. The 2450 is to the 2410 as the 2700K is to the 2600K . It's just a clockbumped chip made as the CPU yields improve.

+ I spose there's the Alienware M14X but its 50% heavier...

13. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Member

Got links to the Samsung and LG?

Just curious. I'm 90% convinced on this ASUS one, but I'll be honest, the bloody MacBook Air makes everything look so damn thick and heavy! Ideally I'd have the 13" MBA and a 15.6" quad core laptop but heh, you can't have it all =/ haha!

14. Madness_3d

Samsung

LG

Good luck finding them in stock anywhere in the UK :)

15. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Member

AMD graphics? We're gonna have a problem there haha!

A combo of the LG and Samsung would be damn near perfect.

14" 1600x900 IPS Screen with i7 QM and GT555 with a 10 hour battery under 2KG would be completely perfect. throw some lightpeak for good measure? haha

I hate having a budget.

I think I'm gonna get the ASUS U46 from John Lewis or PC world. I might be able to get 12.5% staff discount off John Lewis since I know someone who knows someone. If it goes through that'd be lovely haha!