1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Laptop internals as SFF - some questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Adeptus, 27 Jul 2005.

1. Adeptus

Adeptus What's a Dremel?

Due to the generosity of a laptop repair guy I know, I have a collection of laptop parts for free... (just hope they all work as they are the 'faulty' ones... :rolleyes: )

Anyway... I am planning on putting these in a small case, but there are a couple of issues.

1. I have no heatsink for the CPU!!! What (small, quiet) options are there for a P4 1.6? (not M, I think...)

2. The CDROM connector is in a really bad place... are there laptop CDROM cables available anywhere, or do I need to make my own?

2. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

You can get custom parts for this type of project at http://www.kustompcs.co.uk there are others but have used in the past and have been very helpful. They stock all sorts of modding and small factor bits that should get you going. :D

3. Adeptus

Adeptus What's a Dremel?

Couple of problems with that site... 1. they have laptop HDD cables but not CDROM (different connector) 2. they don't ship outside of Europe :(

4. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

Strange? I got my converter for my laptop CDROM from these guys?

What about these people http://www.mini-itx.com

5. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

your gonna have a hell of a time attaching a heatsink to a laptop motherboard, most of those use funnnky heatsink mounting brackets and such, best bet is to 'try' to find the original..., otherwise you might end up cooking that p4...

6. Adeptus

Adeptus What's a Dremel?

Convertors yes, but I want to connect it to the original connector, just further away... looks like what I want doesn't exist, so I'll have to come up with something myself.

yeah will have to see if my mate can get the right heatsink...
    was using a desktop P4 one for testing, just sitting on top. Worked OK, but it would be difficult to attach properly.

Tags: