1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Laptop Keyboard

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ogami Itto, 15 Apr 2005.

1. Ogami Itto

Ogami Itto What's a Dremel?

I have a few old laptop keyboard knocking about and not having anything to do with them I was wondering if it was possible to mod the little ribbon cable coming out of them so that it can be connected to a pc.

Someone could do a mod with a lcd screen and a laptop keyboard built in to it, might be kinda neat. Or it could make a good emergency keyboard.

2. theshadow27

theshadow27 What's a Dremel?

laptops see their keyboards as PS2 devices... but my guess is that the controler chip is usaly integrated into the mobo (same prob as vid card).

but the ribbon cables arent too many conductors, so i could be wrong.

it could deff make a cool mod if you broke off some keys and integrated a small keyboard into the front pannel as a keypad control of some sort

3. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

Last time I looked at one of those connectors it had around 10 or so wires. I've always thought that it's probabaly something like 8 for data, 1 for clock, 2 for power. Just a guess though.

4. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

I imagine the ribbon from the keyboard will be the connection to the rows and columns of the keyboard matrix. Follow the traces from the ribbon on the motherboard, the keyboard controller may be removable (although proabably surface mount and tricky to solder to). That should give you a PS2 compatible output.

You could try adapting a regular keyboards controller board, only problem is some of the keys will be in the wrong place :)

5. Gomi no Sensei

Gomi no Sensei What's a Dremel?

As BjD mention you CAN use a controller from a normal PC keyboard, any broken one OR a El Cheapo K/B are fine to dismantle for the cause. I tried to connect a Laptop KB to my luggable last year using information I found here: Ralf's USB Chatboard Hack but only managed to remap 3/4 of the keys, leaving me with less than optimal functionality :wallbash:

Last edited: 23 Apr 2005