1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Micro Code?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maki43, 3 Jun 2005.

1. maki43

maki43 I can touch my toes 1,2,3

Hi there

Ive got a toshiba M30-106 laptop and it started to play up. I had the motherboard replaced and now that ive got it back it can only run at 600mhz even with high frequency selected in the bios. I used cpuz to determine this, and in windows it reports 600mhz too.

I was told on the toshiba support forum that the micro code had to be updated so i could run at the higher frequency, but ive never heard of this before, and neither had pc world :D

So my question is what is this 'micro code' that they are on about? Ive got to send off an explanation of the problem with the laptop so that they can understand what im on about!

cheers

maki43

2. riluve

riluve New Member

Think of it like this. CPUs are so complex now, its rare or impossible for them to work out ALL of the bugs before they go into production. Therefore, to stay competitive in time to market and keep costs down, they added a way to reprogram the CPU. The entire process is kept well under wraps to prevent CPU viruses from being written and distributed.

Basically only the BIOS has the authority to load the micro-code (reprogram the CPU) and the micro-code comes only as black box code from the manufacturer (so even the BIOS doesn't know whats really going on).

So - to make the answer short, you need a new BIOS version which would have in it a new micro-code if indeed there is one to fix your problem.

3. maki43

maki43 I can touch my toes 1,2,3

Thanks for the reply :)

A person on the message board said that this was also the case. But apparently it does not solve the problem and is needed to be sent to a toshiba service partner to be done.

I put the new bios on anyway with no luck :sigh:

4. dire_wolf

dire_wolf Last Of The Dovakhiin

Were you suprised? :hehe: