1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Laptop Mod - Updated!!!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by null_x86, 11 Feb 2009.

1. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Hey all, I have an idea but want some input before i start with a project log. I have a Dell e1505 laptop that i want to watercool. I have no problem modding(dremeling) the hell out of the case, but i prefer the easy way out. Personally i am thinking of doing a few custom waterblocks (CPU, GPU, and Northbridge) and affixing some sort of "box" to the underneath side of the laptop. Thats Idea 1. Idea 2 is solely based off of the Cooler Master Lan Paty Computer shown here. Only difference is I would do WC and use the laptop. So anyone with ideas, please drop them by. Thanks!

Last edited: 14 Feb 2009
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Some pics or links would help...

3. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

ok, will do, but dont expect anything pretty, im not good in sketchup, so paint and visio will have to do... ill edit later with some pics ;)

4. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

ok heres some pics that i got off of google and some that show plans... sorry my drawing are quite amateur, but they will have to do...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] MB stripped
    [​IMG] this is the MB for the 17 inch, but same concept here, just without the USB header under the left fan and the right fan doesnt exist on the 15 inch MB... WC is staying just like it is illustrated on the picture...
    Watercooling comes in from rad and pump, and goes to CPU/NB & GFX, then back again. Tubes go out of the back vent and into a box under the laptop or a new case for the laptop guts, havent decided about it yet...

5. popotheflyingpanda

popotheflyingpanda What IS a Dremel?

sounds like a tough project, any way a few Q's
    are you going to need this to be portable? is it going to be used as a desktop replacement or a laptop?
    Are you going to over clock?
    Those are going to have to be some nice water blocks Good Luck

6. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

it will still be portable, just a little more bulky.. and yes i am overclocking the moment I can get this working.. ill OC my GFX and pin mod the CPU since the bios is locked...

7. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

more images for planning... not quite sure what im going make everything out of... my choices so far have been plexi, wood or steel. I am thinking Wood or plexi because they just seem a lot easier... The Radiators in the plan will be something like this or this. Theres going to be two of those, that will be under the resevoir. Not sure if i am doing the res or buying one. Probably going to DIY it... It will sit on top of the radiators. The pumps, i havent decided on, but will probably be the small ones by thermaltake. Water will go from Res to radiator to pump, then to the GPU &CPU/NB, via separate lines, and then back to the reservoir.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Sounds interesting but in order to get airflow through the radiator you are going to have to leave a lot of clearance between the bottom of the case and the top of the radiator. How about making a detachable radiator, along the lines of the screen, so than for transport it fols up flat underneath, then when you want to use it you can "extend" it?

I have seen a semi-watercooled laptop somewhere on the interwebs before, the guy stuck a heatsink onto the internal heatsink through the vent holes, meaning that he could easily revert back to standard cooling while he was on the move.

edit:something like this
    http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/10/28/waldic-water-cooled-laptop/

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i have seen something like that, but i think it was mark 2 of the project, with a better pump.

10. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

the radiator will have a fan attached to it as well as one behind it. Notice the rear panel design. I am putting an 80mm fan there w/ a grill. As far as the detachable radiator, no. I am doing this to have it self-contained. :read: I stated earlier that i want it to be portable. The idea you are suggesting is not very portable. And as for reverting to standard cooling once on the move, when im not plugged in to an AC outlet, my battery has a short life near 1 hour and can get to about 75C. So watercooling and portability are a must. And to be honest, I actually contacted the guy who did that original idea, and he gave me some tips as how to do some things. So yeah... Thanks Cupboard, but it wont work...

link please?

Last edited: 14 Feb 2009
  11. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

any suggestion as to what kind of fluid to use?