1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Laptop motherboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Devolve, 20 Sep 2009.

1. Devolve

Devolve Deadbeat

Hi everyone!
    Was wondering if anyone had any experience in replacing laptop motherboards? I have a Toshiba Satellite A210-1CO with a dead mobo. Now I cannot find a exact number for number replacement on ebay (buying from a company seems to be same price as buying new lappy) but I have found a guy selling a tested and working motherboard from a toshiba A210-1AS. Will This work? will it have to much differences? can I use my existing HDD with it, without reinstalling windows? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike.

2. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

usually with toshibas and ibm's, the A***-* is the model, and the last 2 **'s are the specific pre-built "options group" ...

say A210-1aa is a 1.5 celeron, with 512 ram, and the A210-1xx is the 2ghz core 2 with the 2gb ram option. generally, the motherboard only has to match the first 4 or 5 digits.

ask the guy for the FRU number (field replacable unit) ... if they match, the mobo will 99% likely work.

3. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Yep, the FRU is the key. Toshiba does not seem very open with them though. If you can ask for the FRU, I would recommend it.

As for the actual labor, be prepared to tear the entire laptop down.
    To help keep track of the screws, I recommend paper plates and a marker. The laptio should have a sort of layer arrangement, us a plate for each layer. Draw a sort of schematic for the layer on the plate, and push the screws into the plate so you don't loose them, and have a map of where they went.