1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laptop optical drive problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ToM, 9 Nov 2004.

1. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

ok, my dvd/cdrw on my laptop has given up on reading cds and now only reads dvds.

the laptop is now 2 years over warrenty so i cant claim on that.

i need to buy a new dvd/cd drive for it and was wondering if there is any special make i need to look for or if i can just put any kind of generic drive in there.

cheers

2. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

I saw your post in FS, and was going to offer one of mine until this same thing occurred to me. When replacing a laptop drive two things need to be taken into consideration - connector and bezel. Unless the laptop is very old/very compaq the connector should be compatible, but then you still may run into problems with the front of the drive not sitting right in the base, if the old one has some kind of moulded front on it - and you can only swap out the bezel for the old one if the eject buttons match up. What would probably help is a model number/pictures of your old drive, then a list of compatible replacements could be put together.

3. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

the laptop is an packardbell iGo 5xxx series. the cd drive looks like this:

[​IMG]

sorry bout pic quality, batteries died in cam :S

4. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

if you search ebay for your laptop model and "dvdrom", you should gather what you need from the traders there. They tend to list all compatabilities etc..

5. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Looks like a Samsung to me from the bezel, which incidentally is what I have a spare of - an SN-324, albeit with a black bezel but you should be able to swap them easily. Drop me a line and we can sort something out ;)