1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Laptop power on!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Lucky, 6 Jan 2005.

1. Lucky

Lucky What's a Dremel?

Howdy,

I was wondering whether someone could give me some guidance on how I would go about doing this.

I have a laptop which is going to be in the back of my car somewhere and I am going to need to turn it on from the front dash on my car. Therefore, I am going to need to wire a momentary switch to get the laptop to switch on, but unfortunatly I am not too familiar with electronics so do not know how I would go about doing this, and hoped someone here would know how..

Thanks! :hip:

2. liuh

liuh What's a Dremel?

for a CarPC? do you have a touchscreen for input? :)

i'm not exactly sure how you would do it, just wondering how your setup is :) sorry for not being able to help

3. Lucky

Lucky What's a Dremel?

Hey,

At the moment I don't have it all set up, but in the next couple of weeks I will set it up. I am most likely going to a lilliput and put it in the dash.

4. liuh

liuh What's a Dremel?

oh okay...

are you going to run with the laptop open? most laptops going into sleep mode when you close it... just wondering.

I think non-laptop PCs are better for car-puters, since you can wire them easier. but they take up more space.

how mcuh did the liliput cost you?

5. Lucky

Lucky What's a Dremel?

I'm using laptop since I have one lying around since 1997 - really old laptop but does the job and means the price stays low. In an ideal world I would probably go down the mini itx route, but lack of $ means that is a problem.

Screen http://www.digitalww.com/DWW-7VGT.htm ( not ordered yet)

I might run laptop without screen on since it is already falling off! But I haven't address issue of sleep mode - I'm sure I can fiddle round with settints to make sure it doesn't go to sleep.

6. liuh

liuh What's a Dremel?

wow thats expensive :)

i saw on mp3car.com forums that a guy made his own 1din case, and made a hinge so you could fold down the LCD and slide it in when you are parked (so some dude doesn't get bright ideas and steal your LCD).

I'm planning on a car-puter soon, and that's what i'm going to do. But if you have the money then pre-built ones are good too :)

7. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

Thatis a sweet screen mate. Will really look the part.

You should see a simple plastic 'nipple' that causes the computer to go to standby when closed. By opening up the case and removing this piece the laptop will remain on :D

Depends on the model but I think some laptops only disable the native LCD when a second screen is connected. As for the power switch, I'm not sure but you should be able to either extend the wires or place it on another circuit with a relay.