1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Laptop Recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 29 Mar 2021.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I have just been contacted by an elderly friend whose PCs I have supported over the years, you know, THAT kind of friend!

He's wanting to change his AIO PC, (No, I didn't get to advise him on his last upgrade, AND the old one was sent to the tip with a perfectly useful 240GB SSD in it!), for a laptop.

I don't really like laptops, as they are a pain to work on, so don't keep up with what's good.

He's suggested buying a Dell Inspiron 15 5502 15.6" 256GB, which looks to be £649 for the i5 CPU and 8GB.

**EDIT** Looked at a review and the whole bottom plate unscrews and everything is accessible.
    It can take 2x M.2 drives, which is good news.

Please let me know if you have a better option at the same money.

It will be mainly used for office tasks, surfing and sometimes taken to meetings.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2021
  2. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Check out the dell outlet, www.dell.co.uk/outlet. Often can find bargains.

While Dell has done a lot of work unifying their ranges, it has been my experience that the work range (latitude) is a little more robust,

Couple of cavets;

The 3310, 3390 and 5310 have been a major pain in the backside with regards to sound:

1) The onboard MIC is rubbish
    2) Lots of issues when users use a headset connect via the jack.

I've been issuing laptops with USB headsets to compensate, Dell claims that the XX20 range is much improved, but I havent had one to hand to verify.

Arboreal likes this.