1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laptop screen goes black on and off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by knownothin, 18 Aug 2004.

1. knownothin

knownothin New Member

Hi can any one help me?, I have a toshiba satellite 1800 and my screen goes black every now and then, the computer is only 4 yrs old. When it goes black i can just see a picture and i can see it better if i shine a light on the screen. Now when this happens, I turn it off, then on again,and sometimes when i turn it on its black and other times its ok and will last for days! so I am confused, is it my screen, or backlight, or what?!! If anyone can help me it would be great, the computer is out of warranty, and ive heard that sometimes its cheaper to get a new laptop than get a new screen, I hope not!

cheers to all!

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Might be a dry joint somewhere. I've known two laptops here at work that have suffered from dry joints - the charging circuit kept failing on one until it was resoldered.

Might be well worth your money getting an electrician to take a look at it.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sounds like the cathodes used for the backlight are on their way out, or the connections to them.

4. knownothin

knownothin New Member

thanks

thanks guys, any ideas on how I can fix myself?

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Unless you take it apart and check all the connections your only other alternative is sending it back (and paying) for the manuf. to repair it. Lappys are seriously awkward to put back together, the display even moreso. :blah:

And oh yea, Welcome to the Forums :thumb:

6. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I had a Toshiba Satellite 1110 which i bought last february, and I had the EXCAT problem, the problem is that when you open and sut your laptop, it presses a button, i may not always be visible, but it is one of the black things near the screen at the base of the lappy.

It simply gets worn out and the screen goes into a mode as if it were shut, sut it and open it it works again, and the screen goes dark again. This wrecked my holiday over christmas as I couldn't use a comp. (This was before I had this modded one).

I sent it off for repair FIVE times and they still didn't solve the problem.

So, a few days before the guarentee ran out, I went to PC world, told them the problem etc etc etc, they refused to do anything, so I stood at PC world and refused to move, a few hours later and a lot of arguing, the shop shut, and they threatened to call the police unless I moved. But, luckily the managed came in, and offered my a brand new widescreen state of the art computer worth #800 more than my old one with wireless technlogy.

Woo Hoo!

As for repair, now you know the problem, take it apart and replace the joint bit which tells the computer to shut off its monitor.

7. knownothin

knownothin New Member

Thanks

Thanks Mr Willy Wonka I can see the little blighter now, And by the way thats one of my all time fav movies!!

8. Renko

Renko New Member

I opened up my toshiba portege and repaired a bad connection on the side of the screen so it can be done.

You just need to be extremely carefull! Especially when working on the screen itself and even more so the cold cathode! You'll probably find that you have to open up the main part just to get to the screen connections on the mb, look for screws on the bottom and for a way to lift the keyboard. Don't force anything, if you have to force it then you've probably missed something.

Check the connections to the mb first and see if that fixes it.

Then carefully open up the tft and check the connections to the cold cathode (should be on one of the edges - probably bottom. Don't wiggle them too much, they will break completely. I suggest you don't upset the tft too much, if you don't feel confident then don't do it as this is by far the most expensive part of your laptop and the easiest to break.

HTH

edit: nevermind, obviously took me more than 10min to write that :sigh: looks like you've got your solution form Willy :worried:

9. knownothin

knownothin New Member

Thanks Renko

Thanks mate, all advice helps!!!!! :)