1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics [Laptop screen] How-To???

Discussion in 'Modding' started by white modder, 14 Feb 2004.

1. mbates14

mbates14 What's a Dremel?

im not sure if its a voodoo 2, or a voodoo rush, but. If my theory is correct:

Your card has a ICS5342 DAC.

There are 16 pixel digital lines.

So, if your display has P0 through P15 inputs, and a PCLK input, your set.

hook up your data lines, pull them streight off the DAC, and hook your PCLK to the PCLK, and your ENABLE line to the strobe pin, and in theory, it should work.

2. mbates14

Here is a link to the datasheet of the DAC on a voodoo 2 http://www.icst.com/datasheets/ics5342.pdf

Tells you everything you need to know about the dac. Because of this, it tells you indirectly how the card is transmitting and dealing with the DAC, which makes LCD hookups simple and transparent.

3. mbates14

i dunno if anyone viewed this since I been on here, but

My findings with my NEC LCD:

It DOES indeed work. For some reason, I have full color.

But anyway, after the bios screen, it looses sync. it will not sync. the BIOS screen syncs fine. dunno what the issue is.

but when windows booted up, before it loaded the graphics driver, it was at 16 colors, and was in sync. but as soon as it loaded the graphics driver, and rebooted, it was outta sync, but you can see full color.

4. mbates14

I fixed the sync problem, and I tried this to attempt to achieve 256 colors:

VESA PIN TFT PIN
    P0 Primary RED R0
    P1 Primary Greed G0
    P2 Primary Blue B0
    P3 Primary Intensity R1, G1, B1 - Luminance
    P4 Secondary Red R2
    P5 Secondary Green G2
    P6 Secondary Blue B2
    P7 Secondary Intensity R3, G3, B3 - Luminance

OMG, if you think the picture displayed on that display is 256 colors? you would have to be drunk to even think that. LOL.

Not even close, I dont even think its displaying 16 colors. It looks mostly grayscale.

If you pull up a gradient, it looks like watercolors. hmm. True 256 colors looks MUCH better than this. oh well.

5. Variance

Variance What's a Dremel?

You do realize that the 256 colors are from a set palette, right? That means, everything that you do on that display all draws from the same set of colors. That would mean that if it were running at 16 colors, everything that would ever be displayed on that monitor would need to use the same 16 colors. The same is for 256, so I think your hopes are too high. I think you're imagining 256 colors to look a lot better than it really is.

6. mbates14

no, ive worked with 256 colors before. I used to have PCs that only had a 256-color graphics card.

The problem with the picture: if its in 256-color mode, it looks mostly black and white, with one shade of red, and the whites are dull, and you cant read anything.

if I put it in high color mode, the LCD actually looks good. but the colors are all mixed up.

if you look at a gradient, it looks like a random rainbow. (such as the winamp skin). it looks like a mess. its got reds, greens, purples and all that all over the place. it looks like an artistic painting.

If i set the graphics to 256 mode, and use a regular VGA monitor, it looks a bit dithered (to be expected), but still have good color gradient.

I dont think my color lines are wired up right.

I got it like this:

p0 B0
    p1 G0
    p2 R0
    p3 R1, G1, B1
    p4 B2
    p5 G2
    p6 R2
    p7 R3, G3, B3.

With the original 4 bit configuration, the color actually looked normal. but was missing yellow, amungst others. I didnt use this mode, because the display was soo dark, you couldnt see anything. (other lines were left open).

This is on a Cirrus logic. I have 2 other ATI cards with VFCs, but neither will work. it wont show a picture. I think because the 3 enable pins must be held high with a 4.7k pullup.

the Trident doesnt work either, but its because the resistor network, amungst the other components are missing. but the port is there. go figure.

Ill round up a picture, and show you exactly what im talking about.

7. Variance

Variance What's a Dremel?

Ah, I misinterpreted what you meant when you said "gradients look like watercolors." Sorry about that.

8. mbates14

oh yea, im expecting that. Thats what normal 256-color mode looks like anyway. no biggy.

Anyway, what I mean is. i have to switch the graphics card into 24-bit high color in order for me to see color.

The problem: All icons and logos appear black and white. I dont know why. the windows logo is black and white, and every icon is black and white. like anything that calls for yellow, its black, the IE logo is white.

But, however, if i look at the title bar gradient, how its a dark blue and fades into a light blue, well, the title bar shows all my 256 colors. (the gradent looks like a rainbow of the entire spectrum pallette).

If I go into the display properties, I can chose my background to be any color i want. But if I use another monitor, and use 256 color mode, a teal on a 256 color CRT looks blue on the LCD. you get what im saying?

If I had display recalibration software, I could fix all of this. I smell Sci-Tech.

Any ideas?

9. mbates14

look here: http://forum.lcdinfo.com/viewtopic.php?t=705&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

See his screenshot? those 256-color pallette is perfect. nearly, if not completely identical of what a CRT would look like in 256-color mode. hes using VFC. I have no idea what pins hes using for what lines.

But, if you look at my display, I have 256-colors also, but they are way off. the pallette is all mixed up. but im using a 12-bit display, and his is a 9-bit. (dunno if it matters).

Anyway, I have a Toshiba LTM09C035L i am looking for pin data on. I think its a 9-bit display also, and should work.

Anyone have a datasheet or pin data? or does anyone may have an idea what compaq that screen in that SS came out of? and the wiring he most likely used?

because my 256-colors are all psycadelic. in order to even get them to show, i had to use high-color mode. if i go back to 256-color mode, everything goes black and white. all icons black and white.

But still, my icons look nearly black and white. the start menu logo is black and white.

without a digital camera, its hard to describe what that NEC shows. but id like to know a pinout for my toshiba from a DoA powerbook.

10. EM3 Bilko

EM3 Bilko What's a Dremel?

pin connection diagram

I have been reading about using a laptop screen hooked to a VESA connection on a PCI graphics card. I just took my screen apart and found the P/N for it and tried to match it to the information that I found here on this forum but couldn't find the documetation for this screen. I should could use some help locating this info. The P/N is LTM10C021, I have found info for LTM10C025 which is the same size at mine (10.4) but don't know if it will work for my screen. Here is a pic of the label on my screen. [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

11. .:ALOA:.

.:ALOA:. What's a Dremel?

exuse me, but dus your screen already work??

12. EM3 Bilko

EM3 Bilko What's a Dremel?

yes, it's a working screen

13. MCL2k6

MCL2k6 What's a Dremel?

more than 256 colors on LCD board

Hi all,

yesterday I found your thread about how to plug a LCD board to a PC vid card thru feature connector. I've been thinking about something: some S3Trio 64V+ boards have a 16bit Advanced Feature Conn. on them. Maybe we could use this to obtain more than 256 colors on the LCD boards. I was not able to verify this theory, since I don't have a Trio64 board at hand right now.
    The connector should have 80 pins, the pinout can be found here:
    http://www.epanorama.net/documents/pc/vafc.html

14. MCL2k6

MCL2k6 What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I've got a lp121s1 Goldstar LCD from an old Daewoo laptop. Iwas able to hook it to the feature conn, but the colors are all mixed up, as some other people noticed. I guess the main pb. is that I've got 6 bits for each color (18bit display). I was wondering how the color info is sent through the VESA feture conn? I was thinking for something like: for 1 clock cycle the bits are sent for each color 8bit for R then 8bit for G then 8bits for B. Then it repeats itself after a sync signal (Hsync or Vsync). If this is correct, then I need 3 - 6bit digital transmitter (74ls245?) and another chip which enables one of the transmitters depending on the clock cycle. If I'm wrong, please correct me!

BTW I had to hook the blanking signal pin to my LCD's DTMG pin, and I had a very nice stable image.

15. mbates14

thats awsome. the VAFC should be able to support up to 65,536 colors givin if the panel allows it.

someone with a VAFC. its worth a shot....

16. mbates14

I fixed my color mixup. you put the most-significate bit of each color on the beginning of the VFC.

R0 doesnt go on data0 of VFC actually, R5 does.

17. neo019

neo019 What's a Dremel?

Hi all,
    i just found this thread and seems quite interesting. Indeed i'm really into using a laptop TFT i have running around.
    Model number of panel : SHARP LM64C27P
    Controller chip on motherboard(i think): CHIPS F65540 A\CNT2B 9520-A

The Connections coming out of the LCD involve:
    1. Two thick wires (pink and white) entering a seperate chip (i think this is inverter chip) ends up connected from otherside in 5 wires (like molex on PC but including a green wire in the middle) ie: red, white, green, yellow, black.
    2. Edge of LCD Chip has a wire involving 3 ports connected (if you need colours just ask) one of 10(1 wire redundant), other 5 and other 15(2 wires redundant).( by redundant i mean not connected from port so redundant), On the other side the wire ends with 2 plugs one of 15(1 wire redundant) and another of 14(1 wire redundant)

now, my plans are to get some sort of controller card for this small tft and then attach it to my case(stacker). Can you guys guide me in the right direction? Coz i noticed that laptop lcds are quite akward without controller :S

Would i be better off using another desktop 15" monitor i have with backlight not working? if yes any idea on how to fix the backlight on the lcd? i already dismantled it so no probs there ;)

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

19. neo019

neo019 What's a Dremel?

20. inspiron

inspiron What's a Dremel?

i was reading thought the thread and people were asking for a central data sheet storage

datasheet store