1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics [Laptop screen] How-To???

Discussion in 'Modding' started by white modder, 14 Feb 2004.

1. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

The graphics card is soldered (integrated) into the laptop motherboard.
    There is no way to remove it, and use it on a normal PC

2. coorz

coorz Miffed

Striking that we haven't seen any results yet :blah: .
    In a week or 3 i'll be expecting a rather special display which can be hooked up to the VFC connector directly. Stay tuned.

3. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

note on the LVDS thing, I can't recall any part numbers off the top of my head, but there are LVDS transciever chips out there, feed em CMOS or TTL level signals (depending on the chip) and out pops LVDS signaling.

4. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

Some aren't on the motherboard. For example Dell 8200s have removeable video cards. I have no idea what kind of interface they use - but the connector of course is proprietary.

5. Packrat

Packrat What's a Dremel?

Dvi?

Wouldn't it be easiest and most logical to use a DVI-I conector, as it has RGB pins? This would tie together all of the R, G, and B pins on the display, but doesn't the VESA approach do the same? This way, cabling is less of an issue and you need not add another card into your system. Also, you can attach it to multiple systems without opening the case. As an added bonus, you can use a more modern video card.

6. Bones

Bones What's a Dremel?

yea what i meant was one of the removable graphics cards

also like we talked about earlier the pinouts on the lcds and the pinout for vga or DVI are different

7. Packrat

Packrat What's a Dremel?

I realize that DVI was not what you were talking about. I also realize that the pinouts for the LCD and DVI are different, but in the DVI-I pinouts, there are R, G, and B pins. Therefore, wouldn't it be possible to use those pins? Also, it has a clock pin, thus allowing us to still sync it to the clock? or am I all wrong?

Last edited: 19 Aug 2004
  8. tommy10uk

tommy10uk What's a Dremel?

hi guys sorry to jump on ur thread emailed numerouse peoiple asking for some help but no replies prob cos of me being a noob but we all have 2 start sum where. can anyone give an example of a fully working 256 screen and model number and also the card and the process in which they went through to achiving this. i really wanna make this and i just dont no where to start and hopefully the bit tech guys will sort me out

cheers guys

9. greeef

greeef What's a Dremel?

http://www.networktechinc.com/technote.html#dvi

I don't know if you're right or wrong, but i hope you're right :D

griff

10. Packrat

Packrat What's a Dremel?

The problem with potentially using this is using the RGB outs. I wonder though if one could find a pinout for the LCD that has matching tags for the DVI? Let me research this.... though again, I wonder if the analog RGB will work with a digital display.....

Last edited: 31 Jan 2005
  11. mottl3y

mottl3y What's a Dremel?

i have the sharp LQ10D031 from an ibm thinkpad. it came with the inverter, but i cant tell which of the holes in the plug on the pcb go to the inverter, and i dont know which of the 5 lines form the inverter are what. would it matter if i got it wrong, or is trial and error ok. also, why are there so many lines for the inverter?

12. Klebel

Klebel What's a Dremel?

Sharp - LQ94D021

ive been trying to hook up my Sharp - LQ94D021 to an old pci video card, through the VFD header pins. i found the schematics and pinouts of both the VFD and the monitor, im almost 100% sure that i am hooking everything up correctly. When i boot up my pc with the LCD connected, all i get are 3 short beeps from the motherboard and nothing at all from the LCD. could somebody help me out with this?? some possible explanations??

-thanks

13. Packrat

Packrat What's a Dremel?

You could have shorted two wires or something, causing the motherboard to become confused.... or the video card could just be dead. Is the video card known to work?

14. Klebel

Klebel What's a Dremel?

it works perfect if i unplug the LCD from the VFD, and plug my monitor into the vga. and i double checked for any wires touching eachother

15. Packrat

Packrat What's a Dremel?

If the monitor works, and the connections are right, I dont know what to say

16. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

Does it work with both? If so, the video card may expect something on the VGA output.

17. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

Hey this could not only be limited to lcds. I mean think about it gameboys have clock, lcds(and vesa) have clock...ect. So do you think it would work with a gb screen of an old pocket gameboy cause I have a vesa and a pocket right here just itchen to get connected.

18. Packrat

Packrat What's a Dremel?

First of all, the gameboy screen IS an LCD..... secondly, if you can find a pinout for the bameboy and have über soldering skillz (those things have tiny connectors) then give it a shot and post your results here.

19. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

20. Packrat

Packrat What's a Dremel?

clock and h-synch are pretty self explanetory, but I will leave this to the pros..... Plus, can you even solder something that small?