1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Laptop sound card + speakers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thatguy119, 24 Dec 2009.

1. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

My uncle is looking to buy a new laptop, which will hold his expensive CD collection. He is looking for a sound card to replace the onboard audio as he has a ear for music and doesnt like the cheap onboard. Can anybody reccomend something good for under £100 to go with a laptop.

Also, he is after some high quality 2.1 speakers to go with it, need to be reletivly compact but good quality and decent volume. No price range really, just cheap but good enough to fufill the requirements.

2. she'shighvoltage!

she'shighvoltage! What's a Dremel?

By laptop soundcard do you mean an ExpressCard add-in?

3. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Either that or USB stick prefrably, but if external is the only way to go then that as well.

4. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

I just got some LaCie usb speaker which are pretty damned decent and sound great... they were only about £17 from amazon

5. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Thanks, but he is looking to pay up to £100 if required, but I will check those out.

6. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

I think there are the second generation out now which are by all accounts nicer... but if you can spend only a small amount why throw money at something when it's not really needed?

7. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

Im not saying that spending less than £100 is bad, simlpy that if I can get better for more, he is prepered to pay. But I will try and find the second gen and try them out.

8. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Soundsticks II

I really like the sound of these. They play very well and look cool!

9. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

Has he considered headphones? If not then Creative SB Arena headsets come with a USB sound card in the connector, while having amazing sound quality.

10. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Take a look at Samson Studiodock 3i or 4i. They are active studio monitors that have a USB input (eliminating the need for a soundcard). They are relatively cheap and sound pretty good as well. They don't have a Sub, but IMO no sub is better than a really bad rumbly sub (Like e.g Logitech love to put on their sets.).

11. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

+1

The Soundstick are very good :)

12. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

for the soundcard there are the creative ones : Sound Blaster X-Fi Notebook and X-Fi Xtreme Audio Notebook

For speakers all the cheaper 2.1 speakers i've heard are good up to a point. i thought the Logitech X-230s were really good, until i got a proper HIFI amp/speaker setup. that makes even my Logitech Z-5500 speakers (probably the highest rated computer speakers ever) sound bad.
    If you're uncle is used to a HIFI setup i can't see him really enjoying any cheapish computer speakers. In particular, i have never heard a sub from computer speakers give a detailed, tight bass. I'd say look at 2.0 speakers. the Creative ones i heard sounded very good, but not very loud.