1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Laptop suited DIY Power Squid cable - small upd. dec. 23

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Pegasus, 19 Dec 2007.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus New Member

So I recently got my self a laptop - and now I find myself wanting to MOD it!!! :clap: :dremel:
    However my wife won't let me!!! :nono: :nono: :nono:....... YET :idea:

Fortunately I find my self wanting - and needing - tools around the laptop, to accommodate for my new on-the-move lifestyle, that a laptop is so well suited for.

First thing I find is that I need more power!

The 2-3 hours of battery life for normal use (web surfing, editing, movie watching and such) just does not seem to be enough.
    Unfortunately the extra power packs that I have been able to find on the internet are some US $100-$200 .... so that will have to waite a bit.

Then on ThinkGeek, I see the power-squid.
    [​IMG]
    That seems like a perfect concept for Laptop add-on power:thumb:
    Only I live in europe (Denmark) and we have different power sockets than in the US.

So some thinking and modding seems in order. :idea: :lol: :dremel: :naughty:

At a trip to Ikea I see the perfect modding option:
    5 meter power cable extensions for only dkr 10 ~ €1,2 ~ US$2 ~ £ 80 pence (suppose I got that covered now).

[​IMG]

Three of those please! And some cutting, connecting and tapeing later... the laptop-power-squid
    [​IMG]

Sorry, no pictures of the process, but it really is as simple as I described.

I just stripped the wire, wound the blue wires together and the brown wires together. Covered each wire with electrical tape. To add some strength I also taped the three socket cables together with electrical tape, and put some electrical tape along he cable, and then added two layers of electrical tape around the whole thing. I did not have any white electrical tape, so I added some other white tape to the outside, sort of making it look a little better.

As you can also see, I trimmed one of the plugs, so it can be used even if I run into a cord with the standard round bulky plugs (see more on the following pictures).

What will mostly be plugged into the squid.
    [​IMG]
    The AC adaptor for the laptop.

The AC adapter comes standard with a big, round and bulky euro-ground
    plug (see cable in the middle).

Even the cable is thick, its three wires and may even be shielded. I'm sure that is good and safe and .... fat, bulky and not laptop-bag friendly.

So I modded a standard euro connector cable, so it will fit into the AC adapter. And it is slimmer, smaller and thus more laptop-bag friendly.
    [​IMG]

And here you have the whole lot of cables - in front of the 15"-suitable-laptop-sholder-strap-bag that I use.
    [​IMG]

So what do you guys think about my laptop-bag-friendly euro-style DIY power-extension-squid-cable?

Last edited: 24 Dec 2007
  2. Pegasus

Pegasus New Member

I have added a little bit of bling to my power-squid.
    [​IMG]
    To fit my new laptop theme (see sig, for link to the blue laptop).

3. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

Cool have been thinking of my own powersquid, good job, maybe use heat shrink instead of tape

4. Pegasus

Pegasus New Member

Hi Oreon_237,
    yes, if I had had some white heat shrink handy, then I would have used it instead of the tape. Hope to see a picture of your result, once you get that far.

5. Cabe

Cabe New Member

Cunning Idea however a couple of suggestions

[​IMG] + [​IMG]

it will help reduce

[​IMG]

6. Pegasus

Pegasus New Member

Hi Cabe,

cool pictures! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Well, the parts you show are well suited for connecting wires, it is however a bit bulky - and I wanted something as small and slim as possible.

And I'd still say, that the importent part is to get good contact on the copper, and make some tension support in the joint.
    So with wrapping about an inch of cobber wire, and holding it tight together with a couple of layers of electric tape, should guarantee good contact, and thus low resistance and low temperature, even if some amps have to run through the wires.
    These euro style plugs are only approved for 2.5Amps anyway (2.5 Amps equals abt. 600 Watt max. on the wire).
    Also adding some kind of tape to the outside of the wires, to add tension relief, may be just as good as the wire screws, and tieing knots inside the square box.

On another note one of my friends have asked me to make him a power-squid, so maybe this time I'll get to take some pictures, and show how I try to make sure that the connections are safe.

Still like the pictures :thumb:

7. Cabe

Cabe New Member

Dont get me wrong, I have bodged the hell out of some things, but mains voltage isn't one of them.

just be safe mkaaay.