1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Laptop won't power up

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by j_jay4, 9 Dec 2010.

1. j_jay4

j_jay4 Member

I've got a 2.5 year old HP Dv6750ea laptop, with Win 7 64 bit, 4 Gb RAM, Nvidia 8400 graphics, Intel Core 2 procesor.

Bascially I was using my laptop and it was working fine. I looked away for a couple of seconds and then it was dead. It didn't log out or power down. Then it wouldn't turn on, I don't get any lights, beeps or anything on screen.

I know the laptop has power because the light around the power connector is on when power is connected. Upon pressing the power button literally nothing happens.

I know the battery had a decent charge and I have tried to do a hard reset, to no avail.

I wanted to find out what you guys would try replacing first. It's hard to know what the problem is as there isn't anything to go from.

My first thought was to replace the motherboard (£77.50 ebay) as this has happend a lot with many HP laptops (they must be rubbish), but sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. It may also be the power button and associated cable (~£10-20 ebay) that may have failed but that wouldn't cause the laptop to die like it did, would it?

Please help as I really don't have the money to replace the laptop, it worked fine, ran well and did everything I needed from it (If only it would turn on). So, please let me know if you think buying a new motherboard for it would be a good idea?

Thanks in advance

2. DMU_Matt

DMU_Matt mmmm cheesy

I presume you have tried powering on without the battery in? I had to do that before with my Dell laptop.

3. j_jay4

j_jay4 Member

Yeah I did try that :(

4. newaj

newaj New Member

You can try to check the power adapter of the laptop or could be the CMOS of the laptop

5. j_jay4

j_jay4 Member

How would you clear the CMOS on a laptop? Is there a jumper somewhere? Although if it was that then getting a new motherboard would sort it.

6. samuraiweasel

samuraiweasel New Member

Some laptops have the bios battery easily accessible (under the ram or Wifi chip) basically unplug that and leave it for a half an hour or so unplugged from wall and battery.
    That will reset the bios as laptops dont usually have cmos jumpers.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

sometimes you can remove battery and power lead, press the power button for 20-30 seconds and thats enough to reset.

then try powering on again

8. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

I'm not sure if your graphics card falls in the batch of faulty nvidia mobile cards see here. My mate had a faulty one but had no recourse as I later found out it fell out of a lorry, now that's karma for you.

9. j_jay4

j_jay4 Member

My laptop has been resurrected. I ordered the motherboard off eBay and replaced the original and now it works fine, just keeping an eye on my temps as the thermal paste settles in.

Chuffed I hadn't wasted £77