1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop won't recognize internet

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by DoNuT, 6 Jun 2006.

1. DoNuT

DoNuT What's a Dremel?

I have a laptop that I received for college last year, and internet worked fine at the school. Now that I'm home for the summer, I cannot get on the internet for some reason. First, I don't think that me coming home is the problem, but the last time I remember the internet working is at school. This is what happens:
    Wireless status: Connected 1.0 Mbps
    Local Area status: Connected 100.0 Mbps
    1394 Connection status: Connected 400.0 Mbps <---don't know what this one is

Those are the three network connections I have. The following are examples showing that some send and recieve something, but extremely wierd.

Wireless
    Sent: 7,399
    Recieved: 6,243
    Local Area
    Sent: 1,904
    Recieved: 0
    1394 Connection
    Sent: 0
    Recieved: 0

Please help me get connected to the internet so I can surf the net.

P.S. I am on a network with 2 other computers, so some of those sent and recieved might be with those, but I don't know why they would be doing something.

2. devenfore

devenfore LANCandy

1394 Connection status: Connected 400.0 Mbps <---This is your firewire port.

If you are using a wired network... Turn off the wireless on your laptop if you can. Check that you are getting an ip address. (Unless you are setting one manually.) If you are getting an IP address set, check that you don't have a proxy set or something like that.

Good luck.

3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I suspect that you are probably using a proxy at school, so in internet options remove the proxy.

Really we need more info on your network to help, is your IP address configured properly and are you wanting to use wireless or wired?

4. DoNuT

DoNuT What's a Dremel?

ok, I don't know what proxy does for me or what it is. But I have disabled my wireless, and I would like to use wired internet. When I do ipconfig in command prompt I get an ip address and all too.

5. devenfore

devenfore LANCandy

What is the ip address you get from ipconfig? compare that with the other comptuers on the network, only the last section should be differant...
    IE. 172.22.1.xxx or 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx are the most common, just make sure that all the others on the network have the same first three 'sections'. If it is something like 241.213.124.212 or some crazy thing, then either your computer is not getting an ip address from DHCP or you need to set one manually.

If they are, then go into your internet settings, and look for PROXY under connections or something of the like. Make sure you do NOT have a proxy set. You should either have this section set to 'autodetect setttings' or 'directly connected to the internet'.
    (Unless the other computers at your house do, in which case, copy that one.)

Basically, just copy the internet settings from a computer that is working...

If it still isn't working, then read the routers manual, and check the router settings....

GL. :)

6. DoNuT

DoNuT What's a Dremel?

I'm not trying to see the other computers on the network right now, although later I plan on doing that. The problem is that my internet isn't recognizing its connected or something. It is set up to automatically detect. Thanks for the help.

7. LogicalJester

LogicalJester What's a Dremel?

OK, make sure when running "IPConfig /all"

you have DHCP enabled, are not getting an autoconfiguration IP. (Autoconfig should be enabled, but it should not say autoconfig address after IP address).

Now go and do the same on another computer attached to the router and do an "IP Config" - the settings should be virtually the same, the difference should be the last digits in the ip address.

If they are the same, it may be internet explorer settings that are at fault.

Go to a working computer on the network and look under internet options/connection - and note all the settings. Then go to your laptop and ensure all the settings are the same.

Keep a note of any that you change, so that when you go back to school you can easily set them back again.

Hope this helps...