1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Laptops and Windows Operating Systems

Discussion in 'Software' started by bushd, 11 Apr 2004.

1. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

I have a Thinkpad A21m, I believe its a 733mhz processor. I want to reformat and gain the most out of it I can, and obviously that would start with the correct operating system. If anyone has a choice that will provide decent functionality with better performance, speak up. I am thinking the best choice is obviously 98SE, possibly stepping up to 2000.

2. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

forget 98 ... go straight to 2ksp4 ...

much more stable, most of your drivers will already be loaded, and better power saving features with 2k.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Go to 2k - it's far better than 98SE, and it'll already have most of the drivers for your laptop, if not, IBM have a good technical support database and you should be able to find any specific drivers. I just installed 2k on a Dell Inspiron 7500 (400Mhz CPU-range) and it had ALL the drivers already, only had to install the network adapter I had on it... :thumb:

Win2k score +1 :D

4. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

Actually IBM arent as good for drivers as ud think.

they only actively support laptops with the OS's that they supplied them with. (or were availible with). However most of the things should have 2k/xp drivers in their driver database, download their auto installer thing and it will download exactly what you need as its sometimes quite hard to find the stuff you need on their site.

Ive had a few issues with my ibm x20, the most annoying being that it has a built in compact flash reader that they still havent bothered providing a driver for :(

5. mikey

mikey What's a Dremel?

wots the min. memory req. on 2k ?

thankz

6. ajack

ajack rox

From the official MS site

7. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

minimum for xp is 64mb if your interested. ;)

Tags: