1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Laser Cutting / Metal Cutting

Discussion in 'Modding' started by wharrad, 3 Aug 2004.

1. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Anyone know anyone who can run off a couples of fan grills to a specific design? My dremel skills are nowhere near good enough to create perfectly straight lines!

Simply, I need a double 80mm fan grill (like those HeatKiller's or the one's MDK ran awhile ago - sort of a square grill). Hoping to get them in Ali, but any metal will be excellent. If possible I'd like a matching 120mm grill aswell.

If anyone knows of anything I'll send a design through.

Cheers guys!

2. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

I've looked extensively at this in the UK and it will cost you no less then £120 for about 5 fans. Its a bit harder with aluminum because of the amount of energy/light it reflects means it takes that much more to cut it.

The only thing I can suggest is that we go together on it since two design's isn't much harder then one - if they are put on the same pattern.

If you find an alternative PLEASE let me know ;)

3. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Thanks for the input! That's expensive!

I've googled a touch and found a couple of places, just getting some designs together before requesting a price. I'm sure I'll have some more info in the next couple of days and maybe putting in a joint order would be a good idea.

I'll keep you updated!

4. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

You could also check out waterjet cutting, though that probably can't do the fine stuff as well as the laser would.

5. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Waterjet? Can't say I've heard of that, but I'll look into it anyhow! Cheers.

As for the PM Kickn, I've got it and will reply as soon as I know anything!

6. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

You might want to be carefull with the laser cutting. We contracted somebody for some laser cutting and I'm pretty sure that inside their laser machine is actually a severely retarded monkey with a half broken Dremel. I'm sure it is cheaper then a real laser cutter, I just think the super complex shape of an arch might be a job they should have passed on.

7. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

LOL - some times you have to wonder don't you :)

I had send some anodising out a few months ago and had to send it back three times - not for bad anodising but because someone scratched it every time - how hard is it to wrap something in plastic before you ship it?

On a more 'productive' note there's always eMachinesop.com

I've never used them put the prices aren't too bad. It would be great to have something like that in the UK so I could use it!

8. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?