1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Laser Cutting

Discussion in 'Modding' started by randompkguy, 14 Jan 2009.

1. randompkguy

randompkguy whats a 5 axis cnc router?

Hi, I need some laser cuts made for my project. I have already called one place, and they gave me an estimate of 250-300 dollars to cut patterns in two 12x24" sheets of acrylic. I for one think that this is way too much, and was wondering if anyone knows a decent place where I could get the job done for around 100?

thanks!

2. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

if they are a large company to for the most part only does large quantity work then they would of course charge alot.

try finding a smaller company or one that doesn't do large quantity work. I would think they'd charge less.

3. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

depends mainly on where you are... because you've said Dollars I'd assume the US, so I'd ask Bill at MNPCTech... I got mine done (granted, it was with a router and not by MNPCTech) for £20 ($30)

4. cc3d

cc3d It's a mod mod world

Where are you located?

Have you considered water cutting?

5. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Where are you located, excellent question.
    Have you tried a sign shop? I found out that my brother's friend has a sign shop with a laser cutter. If you're around the bay area, PM me, and I'll try and put you in touch. (I have not idea what they charge.) You can also try tap plastics. Again, sorry, but I don't know pricing.

I think it may also depend on the intricacy of your pattern and what format it's in. (ie, will they have to do any special programming, or just input your file and is it a circle, or an intricate filigree pattern...)

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Why does it have to be laser cut?? Can't you settle with water or router cutting

7. theducks

theducks What's a Dremel?

Call your local Epilog Laser distributor and see if they can recommend anyone. I've always found them to be helpful.

8. randompkguy

randompkguy whats a 5 axis cnc router?

Thanks for all the replies!:thumb: I am fine with water cutting. Not sure about routing as the cut layout on the sheet requires the parts to be rather close together. I'm in the states (Maryland to be specific).

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

$300 waaah?? I did a few bits for people around the forums and asked for a fiver.

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

How about Ponoko? If they've already got the material you want it should be fairly cheap, and if they don't you could always email them and ask nicely if you can ship it to them (their FAQ says you can't, but it never hurts to ask).

11. slisgrinder

slisgrinder Minimodder

ponoko is not cheap...i am trying to make a reprap and it is stupidly expensive...

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Smells like a bot...

13. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

tastes like one too

14. m00kiechan

m00kiechan What's a Dremel?

Anyone in the Northeastern PA area needing lasering done.
    I have two Epilogs. Call our shop at (570) 823-3726 :clap: