1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Laser printers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smc8788, 16 Sep 2013.

1. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

My old HP AIO printer appears to have died so I'm on the lookout for an affordable replacement printer. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent laser printer that doesn't cost the Earth to run? Mono laser is fine, colour would be nice but looking at the cost of replacement colour toner it would be cheaper to buy a new printer every time it ran out! :rolleyes:

I don't mind whether it's an AIO or a standalone printer so long as the initial cost isn't too high, I'm looking more for long term reliability and low running costs but have no idea which brands to be looking at...

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

As with most things printerly, you can't really go wrong with an HP Laserjet - I have both a colour and a monochrome laserjet at home (the monochrome does duplex printing, so it tends to get used the most).

Take a look on Fleabay for reconditioned units - you'll probably be able to pick up a printer for £50 or less, and the toners for all but the most recent printers can be bought there for £12-20, depending on the model.

There are other printer brands available, but none really comes close to the cost per page, especially if you go for a recon machine with recycled cartridges.

3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

define to high please.

1) replacement toner are 2-3x the size/capacity of the original toner.
    2) running costs Paper+ Toner is still less then ink jet. (you are just buying more "ink" per toner)
    3) Budget for each option.
    4) duplex?

I have used: HP, Brother and Dell (HP re-brand mostly) and they are all mostly the same. I prefer Brother as they have good linux drivers and play nicely over the network.
    if using LAN connection make sure to set the IP for the Device's MAC as windows is stupid and its much harder to set windows to search for the MAC of your printer.

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I've got a Ricoh SP100e mono printer. It was cheap and it makes good prints. Toner lasts a long time, and is cheap. Also it's driver is simple to make the printer function, it dosen't have a bunch of other trash that tries to take over the whole computer.

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I'm looking at spending around £100-120, but could stretch to £150 for the right features (e.g. something like this, which has all the features I would need but a full set of replacement toners is more than £150. Higher capacity than an ink cartridge, sure, but the pence per page is still much higher).

Duplex would be a bonus but I'm not too fussed about it (especially if it means having a much larger printer than one without).