1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding LASERS!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mattthegamer463, 26 Feb 2005.

1. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

i was sitting here, in my office chair, thinking of mods to do when i thought of placing a laser pointer or laser thing inside case with small positioned mirrors so the laser would bounce around inside, but this wouldnt look very good because you cant see the laser in flight. does anyone know of a way to make the laser beam visible without putting a smoke machine inside the case or anything? or is there a type of laser that is visible? please help me.

2. zx2assassin

zx2assassin What's a Dremel?

I could be wrong but i think you can see the beam of green lasers, but there might be a red one that you can easily see the beam...

3. T-MINUS 10

T-MINUS 10 Banned

what about blue lasers? :D

4. uwannabigmak

uwannabigmak What's a Dremel?

5. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

im wondering though, does that mean visible in the air or visible on the wall or whatever its hitting?

6. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom What's a Dremel?

Hmm... maybe if you let your case get dusty enough... :D

I know that green lasers are visible through the air in the dark, not sure about light. Red ones need to have something to refract/reflect off of though.

7. uwannabigmak

uwannabigmak What's a Dremel?

it wouldnt be a red laser diode if it didnt show up at all, and the word "visible" makes me think it shows up as a beam... i dont know, though.

8. TMM

TMM Modder

There needs to be something in the air (be it dust, smoke etc) for you to see a beam. Green lazers are easiest to see since our eyes are more sensitive to green light then blue or red (basically the two extremes of the spectrum that we can see).

9. Sunny-D

Sunny-D What's a Dremel?

not to get too off topic here, but i just got an mx1000 laser mouse, and i cant see the laser beam on my desk, on my wall, anything. and no, i havent stared directly into the laser eye (im not that dumb :D) but i want to know what kind of laser is in this thing if it isnt visible on any surface it points to. could it be an infrared laser, if there is such a thing?

10. wasted_druid

wasted_druid What's a Dremel?

There's no laser where the beam is simply visible. Green lasers are more visible because they're brighter at the same power than the red ones are (something to do with the wavelength, I believe), so they pick up the dust that's in the air more easily, but I've got one, and to see the beam it has to be a really dark night or a brighter night a lot of pollution (like a red burn day). Now I do remember some green particle beam machine they had back at my high school where the beam was visible, but it was contained within a tube with some kind of special gas, it wouldn't bounce off of mirrors (although a big magnet bent the beam) and I remember my teacher saying they were actually illegal for schools to get now, but they were immune because they had one before the legislation. Not sure how true that last part was, though. Looked into blue laser pointers a couple months back, and then they weren't really available. Not sure whether they'd be brighter or not. Anyway, that's enough rambling for me.

11. Storm Music

Storm Music What's a Dremel?

you can buy lasers that u can see the beam.. a mate of mine works for maplin and soups up ordinary lasers to visable standards then flogs em!

12. Tricky

Tricky What's a Dremel?

lasers

I'm afraid that lasers are devices that emit a coherent directional beam of photons and as such the beam of light should be 'invisible' at oblique angles. The obvious exception to this is when the beam becomes diffracted in some way (dust in the air, beam strikes a surface etc.) and photons are scattered out of the direction of the beam thus making it clearly visible.

In short I think that if you used a laser in your computer case then you would either need a mirror/prism to de-tune the beam or stuff in the air to make the beam visible - (any airborne suspension will do this). Perhaps you could approach the problem from the other side and try to tightly focus light from an led? :thumb:

Cheers - Pete

13. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I have one of those.. it's called a monitor ;) Atleast it works in the same way... I guess there is some sort of phosfor (SP??) gas in the tube, and an electron cannon in the end... pretty neat stuff :)

Anyway, no laster can be visible withaout breaking the beam some way. "visible laser diode" simply means that you can see the beam when it hit something, and not in mid air. That is pretty much impossible.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yes there is. Your CD-ROM drive and DVD player have one too. :D Basically, the longer the wavelenght, the less power you need to pump into a laser diode. Same thing for LEDs, really, which is why your average red LED will run of 1.5V while a blue or white LED will need 3.2V to be happy.

Of course, shorter wavelengths make for greater precision, hence the blue lasers ("Blu Ray") which are applied with the new high-capacity DVDs. But for an ordinary CD or DVD, or a mouse for that matter, such resolution is not necessary and an infrared laser will do the trick nicely due to its low power requirements.

Correct. You're thinking of a cathode ray tube. Usually these are vacuum and the phosphorus layer is on the screen, where electron particles "excite" it and cause it to release photons as it returns to its default state. In those, you cannot normally see the beam. However if you fill the tube with a gas like argon or neon, this will act basically in a similar fashion to the phosphorus layer and you see a nice beam.

15. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

I'm not any technical miracle, but I have owned some laser pens and the beam of some of them becomes slightly visible when you make it go through a window.
    I'm not really sure if that reammy works, but that's what I've seen. Anyways, that might also be just an optical illusion, but if you have a laser pen, try it.

16. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

I've seen green lasers that have a visible beam, but they were pretty expensive...

The MX1000 turns the laser off when it isn't on a flat surface, for safety reasons.

17. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

That's beacuase of the imperfections in the glas.. You can also see the reflection in the glas aswell

18. Tricky

Tricky What's a Dremel?

Gratuitous Laser Shot

I've posted these pictures before - never thought they might be on topic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ooooh - Big Laser :D

19. JinkzUK

JinkzUK What's a Dremel?

Yeh im sure that would easily fit in his case :D

20. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist