1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Last build 20 years ago, need advice on GPU for gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gvf, 2 Apr 2018.

1. gvf

gvf What's a Dremel?

I managed to bring home a PC that was going to be disposed of at work and I'm planning on building a gamming machine with it.

It has a Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI motherboard, i7 6700K processor, 32GB of RAM and a 750w power supply.

I haven't got a clue about what GPU to buy, my son wants to play Far Cry 5 with it (to start with), the recommended requiremets for that game are: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or AMD R9 290X (4GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better), but they seem to be outdated models, so no idea what to get.

A friend has recommended Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 GAMING V2 6GB, but I would like to ask for expert advice, we don't plan on playing 4k, 1080 is good enough (he now plays with an XBox and is happy with it), also I would like something a bit future proof in the sense that I don't have to upgrade 2 years from now.
    Any other GPU I should consider?
    Thanks!

Last edited: 2 Apr 2018
  2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Not right now, no. The 1060 is about perfect.

Arboreal and gvf like this.
  3. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Your work is throwing out computers like that?! Where are there bins?

4. gvf

gvf What's a Dremel?

Ha ha, no.
    This was a computer for the dev team, it was a very specific build, once it was no longer needed there wasn't a use for it, lucky me!