1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Last Game You Completed?!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by MrDomRocks, 24 Sep 2012.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Well-Known Member

Wing Commander 1

GOG version using dosbox

I never played it the first time round. For a game that is 27 ~ years old it was lots of fun, although there was this one mission towards the end that was so infuriating I nearly rage destroyed my whole PC. Got it in the end though, and I hear that the mission is something of a badge of honour.

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines

The horribly-janky-but-cult-following-means-mods-make-it-way-better game that was built on an alpha version of the Half-Life 2 engine. The latest Unofficial Patch (10?) basically means it doesn't crash any more, which is nice. I loved this game at the time, despite its infuriatingly regular crashing. But I'd forgotten one important thing; there's a boss fight toward the end where if you have a melee build character, you are basically screwed, because the boss is a flier. Other than that, it was an amusing ride going through as a Malkavian (for those with even less knowledge of V:tM than I, Malkavians are basically insane, and the conversation options reflect that...) but I missed a couple of things that nearly had me going back and trying again.

Plus, some of the music is awesome.

3. ADJ93

ADJ93 New Member

shadow of the tomb raider!

4. Journeyer

Journeyer Well-Known Member

Recently finished Mass Effect: Andromeda, and I don't think it deserves all the flak it got. I enjoyed it, and I for one am hoping they'll put out another one. There's still more stories to be told in Andromeda, and I would really like to experience them.

5. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Active Member

Boston Dynamics Atlas robot put me in a retro mode and I fired up Portal 2. Not as long or as hard as I remembered it being, but still really enjoyed it especial Cave Johnson.

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

About 3 months after release Andromeda got a 'mega patch' that mostly fixed the wonky animations and models as well as ironing out a lot of the worst bugs. Of course three months is much, much too late late to make the game functional, it was also the last thing Bioware Montreal did before papa EA walked in with the pistol. The patch didn't change the fact that it was a story I found uninteresting featuring characters I didn't get invested in (Clan Nakmor excepted, Drak and family were outstanding), which is what really killed Andromeda stone dead before it was even released.

7. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Return of the Obra Dinn - masterpiece/10
    A brilliant concept, brilliantly executed. It's so well thought out, I'm genuinely amazed.

The environmental design is impeccable and the visuals are simply gorgeous, a real technical achievement. Just look at it:
    [​IMG]
    Through the lo-fi aesthetic it manages to convey a few surprisingly gruesome scenes.
    [​IMG]
    This game has so many awe-inspiring setpieces I'd love to post screenshots of, but I really don't want to spoil (even partially) the experience of seeing them the first time yourself.
    Similarly, do try to avoid story spoilers before playing. I'd even advise against reading more in-depth reviews. If you like detective stories and/or nautical disaster tales: just get this game. It's not that expensive and you'll definitely enjoy it.

I've looked at a few other reviews and the consensus seems to be that the soundtrack is great, but for some reason that's about the only part of the game I didn't enjoy so much. Otherwise, Obra Dinn is without doubt one of the best games of 2018, and one of the most unique games I've ever played.

It definitely whet my appetite for more deduce-'em-ups. I've already purchased Her Story and am hoping there's more similar stuff out there.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2019
  8. MrRobot

MrRobot New Member

God of war. Enjoyed every minute!