1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

[​IMG]

5 of these (not 5 boxes, 5 total)

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Not sure why you're struggling with this? Apple don't make the iPhone 5 any more, it has been replaced with the 5C (basically an iPhone 5 with a coloured plastic back), and the 5S is the new upgraded model.

Good to hear you're getting a good deal on the 5S though!

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm struggling with it because I was guaranteed a 5 last week, agreed to the lease etc, and the o2 CS rep told me they had good stock of the 5, then the word first thing today is that there's not a 32GB iP5 to be had anywhere within the o2 network.

I know Apple are not manufacturing it anymore, and I put the (wtf?) in the wrong place in that sentence. What I meant was that it's strange to me that o2 are no longer buying any existing stock of iPhone 5's considering that they're still only one generation behind the current models, and are instead offering an 8GB 4S as the lower cost alternative to the 5S or 5C. What if you want a slightly more affordable handset - say, one that's been around for a while now but not one that's two models behind the current generation - but don't want a 5C? I think it's weird. I would have phased out the 4 and 4S because relatively speaking, they're much more costly to repair and are plagued with bugs and issues, and kept lower capacity original 5's as the less expensive lease handset.

All of this is irrelevant though, obviously Apple have called this and it's probably the same with all UK iPhone providers and probably has something to do with demand for shared parts between the iP5 and iP5S in their production plants. I just hope it doesn't take a fortnight to come. My 4 is dropping calls on such a regular basis that I'm now strongly considering slotting my SIM back into my 3GS until it comes :rolleyes:

4. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

You know the situation is desperate when you consider going back to a 3GS. *shudder*

5. Unicorn

My 3GS works perfectly other than having a dodgy volume button - I still have a spare PAYG SIM in it which my Canadian relatives use when they're in the country, but you can't turn the call volume up on it so if you're anywhere noisy, you have to use the headphones to make and receive calls :hehe: It served me well for years, but it's been rebuilt several times since I got it at launch - once for a new screen, once for a new battery and once more for a new headphone jack (at which point it unfortunately developed this volume button issue). I know it's repairable, it's just probably not worth the time and effort any longer!

6. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I'm currently having the "do I want to upgrade" decision fun. I have a 4S 64g, which means I will be getting a 5S 64g or nothing as I have only got 8g left on my current phone and I like that I've never filled it in 2 years.

Do I want a 5S: yes. Do I need a 5S: no. How much do I want it? Do I want 4G internets? Will I get a better internet package? These are all the silly questions that I need answering. The main issue I suppose is can I afford it as ATM there are a million other things that are pulling at my purse strings.

Uni, what do you think of replacement batteries? Mines starting to get a bit "lunch time charge" atm, and Apple want £55 to replace it, but what am I going to do without a phone for a week?!?

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

The iPhone 5 isn't behind the 5C in any way, the 5C is a direct drop in replacement, and at the price point that the 5 would have been at as an 'old' generation iPhone. This means there's zero incentive for networks to maintain stocks of the 5, as they can't sell them for any cheaper than a 5C. The iPhone 4 has gone, and the 4S is now the cheapest option available.

It's actually quite interesting. Apple always used to have the newest model iPhone, and then two previous models (at two different prices) available, but never marketed. You never saw the 3GS in adverts once the 4 came out for example. By replacing the 5 with the 5C, Apple now have two products they can actively market and push to consumers, whilst maintaining their existing pattern of three phones and three prices. Customers don't feel 'cheap' buying an old generation phone, because the 5C is "new".

You're right though - Apple called the shots, and probably actually recalled all the stock of the 5 from the networks to re-make in to 5Cs or retain for internal refurb use. They'll want as many 5Cs out there as they can, and allowing networks to continue selling the 5 would go against that.

8. KidMod-Southpaw

The 5c just seems like poor value for money, but as Cei as said, they'll buy it anyway.

9. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Since when were Apple products Value for money? Even their lower end gear is mid range for everyone else.

Personally I like the styling on the 5C more, but I want the larger SSD.

10. KidMod-Southpaw

I never really did expect them to change now. ;)

11. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

My 5S arrived today (was on a 4S previously), pretty happy with it so far and even got it for reasonable money on a 12 month deal.

12. Unicorn

It's a doddle with the 4 and 4S and if you decide to hold onto the 4S, I highly recommend you do it yourself or get someone to do it if you're really not confident. An iP4S battery costs £20 and 10 minutes to install, and does not void any warranty unless you're extremely ham fisted and break something whilst you have the back off. As always, Apple are putting their arm in at £55, but that's to be expected. The one week lead time is the hard part to fathom though. It's a pity I'm so far away, I could drop one in for you in less than 10 minutes.

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of money was your lease and which network are you on? I'm starting to second guess my decision to stay with o2... The only reason was to avoid the massive PITA which switching networks mid-contract would have caused, not to mention the colossal expense.

13. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Well firstly I'm on a business contract with Vodafone, but my understanding is they are publicly available (and you run a business anyway right?).

So...12 month contract, £200 for the phone and something like £43 per month ex VAT. Unlimited calls and messages and 2 gig internet I think.

PS that is not 4G. Extra fiver a month for that. At if you do that before October (I think), they put you up to like 4gb of internet I think.

14. Unicorn

I'm on o2 business as well, and exactly the same tariff: unlimited calls, texts and 2GB data for £43/month over 12 months. They have the same sort of deal with the 4G upgrade later, he was unsure of pricing though. The handset didn't cost me anything but I did have to buy out of my current 24 month contract which wasn't due to end until the beginning of March. I thought £140 for that wasn't bad considering it's another 6 full months @ £45.

15. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Well-Known Member

Just purchased a larger throttle body and performance discs and pads all round for my car. Should be a welcome upgrade on the stopping front, may make more power too!

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

That stock... wat. Cool stuff, but for the price I could pick up another rifle here! :hehe:

I've told myself that with so many goodies included there's no need to put any more money into it. We'll see how long that lasts.

17. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus Rule #9

You've picked the wrong rifle if you're thinking that. There aren't many rifles that you can tweak as much as the 10-22. I've been deliberately avoiding anything shooting related, I just don't have the money or time to get back into it.

18. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Well-Known Member

Probably not very long :D

I got a Hawkeye 3 - 9 x 40 scope and bought a cheap €40 airsoft RDS which is great fun for high-speed plinking.

Basic Harris bipod and a suppressor make for a great afternoons shooting, without annoying everyone in the valley here :D

19. KidMod-Southpaw

Pardon my ignorance, but could you or Julian explain the differences with this business contract please? It seems quite expensive on paper for what you're getting.

20. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Gives credit where its due

[​IMG]

Getting cold down here in the west srs