1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I have not read Cheap Seats.

My favourite bits are all in "Fragile Things"

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Xbox One Wireless Controller

My god is it nice to use, just gave it a quick blast in Forza Horizon 3 and it really communicates what the car is doing in a way the old 360 controller couldn't.

It's not the same as a full racing wheel setup, but this is also much cheaper and less obtrusive when I'm not using it, so I'm pretty content with my purchase.

Just need the freshly ordered Bluetooth adaptor and charging stand to arrive so I can do away with the short MicroUSB cable I have to use at the minute and it'll all be good!

3. Valo

Valo Minimodder

2013 Hoy Shizuoka 002

I couldn't resist myself, found a great deal and I've been complaining to my girlfriend about having to commute on public transport recently so snapped one up off ebay

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

Bitmain Antminer S3 Bitcoin miner, as an experiment.

Now, the S3 is multiple generations out of date. At the rate I pay for me electricity, it will not in any way, shape, or form make a profit, much less break even. In fact, if I ran it 24/7 for the next year, I'd end up about £300 in the hole.

But, it's cold. Computers are odd things: you put in 600W of electricity, you get 99.999-recurring per cent of that energy back as heat; the rest goes to making zeroes and ones happen. The plan is that I can use the Bitcoin miner as a subsidised electric heater. When I'm cold, I stick it on and enjoy 340W-ish of lovely heat but only pay for about 250W of electricity. The rest I'll get covered in a rebate, in the form of payouts from a Bitcoin mining pool.

Will I save the £65 it cost me? No, I won't. Will I be warmer? Yes, I will. Is it likely to be more fun than just buying a £10 350W electric heater? Hell yes.

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

This has got to be one of the oddest things I have ever found myself nodding in agreement to.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Can't say that I was nodding in agreement at any point there :D

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Agreed. Now that winter's coming in, the Titan XMs start to come into their element for me :D.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If there's a flaw in my plan, I'd love to hear it!

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Logic Cheesecake.

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I think it might boil down to your definition of "fun" :D

11. Gareth Halfacree

What, you don't think playing with tech is fun? Are you *sure* you're on the right website? :p

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I think it might boil down to your definition of "playing" :D

13. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Mi espléndida chaqueta nueva. :hip:

[​IMG]

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Saving throw failed!

[​IMG]

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

^That'll keep you busy! :D

16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It's not the Bagger 288, is it? :jawdrop: :lol:

17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

haha you could program that thing to clean up all of your kid's toys off the floor :D

18. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Indirect Home Heating

Just noticed this post, having been to visit TMDD at his (temporary) new home the other night, and ended up discussing waste heat.

When I was over at his place last time, he had his (now retired) mining rig running in a corridor on open shelving. When I opened the door to go and see it in action, the extra heat in an enclosed space was tangible.

I was reminded about that as we were in his conservatory the other night, and it was a bit chilly, so he put a fan heater on a for a few minutes. I remarked that it was a shame that the mining rig was no longer there, as it would warm the room up a treat on a cold winter day.

His new rig has a more efficient single card in it, so no good for room heating.
    The conversation went on and we came up with a suggestion for the PC equivalent of Winter tyres.

In the winter, you just need to switch to a silly hot GPU, preferably 2 in SLI/X fire in place of a fan heater.
    Result - more graphics grunt, mining/folding if you wish and a room heater for 'free'
    Job done - you heard it here first guys :hip:

Anyway, let us know how the antminer works on all fronts, including office climate control!

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Holy crap, there's a video I haven't seen in AGES.

20. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If excess heat is considered useful rather than waste then all electrical devices are at least 100% efficient (dehumidifiers and heat pumps are over 100%).

I've often though about a super well insulated dwelling with no heating other than "waste" heat from appliances. You could switch to incandescent bulbs in the winter :)

99.9999-recurring equals 100 :)