Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

As fate would have it, the bargain 770 that I got on ebay was faulty, so I've returned it and got a 780 instead (very much a result of circumstance). Turns out it's the second revision of the card and it's a jolly powerful puppy. Very pleased, despite being more out of pocket than before.

I also impulsively grabbed a 16GB Toshiba USB3.0 flash drive in Asda.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Latest MDPC-X Crimp Tool

[​IMG]

3. jrs77

jrs77 theorycrafting

Some Shimano parts... new crankset Alfine FC-S501-42 that comes with a BB-RS500 included. And all the tools necessary to remove the old bottom bracket that came with the bike and install the new one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nothing fancy really, but way better than the oldschool tapered one that came with the bike, which creaks when I go out of the saddle when riding uphill.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

Do you need to face the BB shell, or has it already been done?

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

He shouldn't need to going from square taper the thread should be a standard English

6. jrs77

jrs77 theorycrafting

It's a two month old bike in basically factory new condition, never ridden in wet conditions. According to the information I found it shouldn't require anything, but simply switching the bottom brackets. And yes, it's a standard english BSA 68mm, where this new bottom bracket simply threads into.

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Facing isn't just about the threading, it's about making sure the outer edges of the BB shell are completely parallel - I haven't needed to face a BB or head tube on any modern frame though, the tolerances they are built to nowadays are plenty good enough to be absorbed by the bearings... which will die due to water and dirt ingress well before before micro-levels of mis-alignment has an effect!

8. legoman

True, To be honest when ever ive been asked to check the facing its usually not a single issue as you said most or pretty much flush now due to machining, more often its re threading after a poor fitting attempt from crossthreading or a damaged BB, or swarf getting in chewing things up.

9. bawjaws

Ah, that's good to know: I'm planning on swapping out my crankset and that'll involve ditching the current square-taper BB and replacing it with a Hollowtech II, so I was concerned that I'd need to get the BB shell faced.

10. Arboreal

Arboreal Well-Known Member

Me too...just bought a CTEK MX5.0 as my car battery is a bit low (was flat when I got back from holiday), but not in need of replacement. I'll be getting some of their 'comfort indicator' QR connectors for the 2 boat batteries as you can immediately plug the charger in without any messing with terminals, AND they have a 'Traffic Light' battery charge indicator on them :D

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Thought I had to replace my girlfriend's less than two years old mainboard because it refused to boot yesterday. Bought a new BIOS battery today just to try everything and it worked. Money saved. :thumb:

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

What didn't I buy?

PVC solvent weld pipe
    Conductive solder tabs
    Funduino Uno R3
    Deans connectors
    5m 150LED WS2812B
    8x Panasonic 18650 3400mAh batteries
    DC-DC adjustable power supply

For.. Shenanigans. Making a Thunderhammer related shenanigans.

Also, some more detailing brushes, because you can never have enough of those.

13. perplekks45

Just spent almost 12 Euros for a ticket to see the Dark Tower movie. I went in with literally zero expectations and left utterly and completely disappointed. Never have I ever... spent money that I regretted that much afterwards.

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Active Member

I was planning to see it when it comes out, I figured that with McConaughey and Elba it must be good?

15. perplekks45

Yeah... no. I went with a friend who has not read a single line of the books and we both agreed the movie did not satisfy him or me. So for people who haven't read the books it seems the movie leaves way too much unexplained, the story is a who is who of action movie clichés, the acting is alright at best (Elba) and atrocious at worst (McConaughey and Taylor), and the story lines, characters and background stories are so far away from the books it's simply ridiculous. I think the only things they took from the books are "there is a dark tower in the center of everything", the names Roland, Jake, "The Man in Black" and the Dixie Pig, and there are portals. Other than that is generic sci-fi action trash without a coherent story.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just insanely disappointed after reading the first book roughly 20 years back and since then looking forward to a movie adaptation.

16. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Active Member

Fair enough. When I first heard of it it made no sense to me that McConaughey wasn't playing Deschain, but there you go.

17. bawjaws

All I can say, without having seen the film, is that I would not be surprised if yet another Stephen King adaptation turned out to be absolute rubbish. I know there have been a few successes over the years, but the strike rate is not good in general :D

18. legoman

Lump of metal for the car, irritatingly small image as well.

[​IMG]

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I just received shipping notice for these:
    [​IMG]

Realising they're probably overrated, but I have been curious, and I had some money to spare.

20. Byron C

Byron C Game's over losers, I have all the money!

... What are they?