1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Byron C

Byron C Over-reacting and over-analysing since 1982

Not a purchase because I didn't pay for it, but I had a SamKnows whitebox delivered the other day:

[​IMG]

It's basically a customised router which periodically runs tests on your broadband (when you're not using it apparently) and uploads the anonymised results to SamKnows. It basically takes over as your main router, between your existing router and the rest of your wired network. I'm not too concerned with data harvesting since important traffic is already encrypted; my ISP can't read that traffic either, so I highly doubt SamKnows can. From what I've read these things don't seem to do anything nefarious, just run the tests as advertised and report the results back. Will be interesting to see the analytics it produces.

2. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Got an incredible deal on a Thinkpad T460 a while back via my brother. Only niggles were the rather crummy 768p TN screen and a truly horrendous Dutch keyboard layout.

Luckily, this being a super user serviceable Thinkpad, both problems were easily solved in minutes after purchasing
    - a proper US ANSI QWERTY keyboard (FRU 04X0101), with backlight which is nice.
    - an AUO B140HAN01.3 1080p AVHA panel
    The AUO is a wide color gamut panel, and the colors are very nice indeed. Being related to IPS, the viewing angles are also great.
    Purchased it from laptopscreen.com, whose support service was very quick and helpful in making sure I got exactly this panel (most places only guarantee you get a "compatible" screen).

Really the only negative I notice is some backlight unevenness, only visible on full brightness and a black screen. Apparently the previous version of this panel (B140HAN01.2) didn't have this issue, but it's become impossible to find. I guess they lowered production costs for the 1.3.
    Still, regardless of the backlight, one of the nicest screens I've owned.

Even with this laptop upgrade, I still hesitate a bit to sell my old Thinkpad X220T... Such a wonderful, comfy notebook. Don't often get attached to electronics, but this is an exception.

3. Byron C

Byron C Over-reacting and over-analysing since 1982

ThinkPads are lovely machines, I've been through a few in my time. Had an X61s, X201, and currently have an X240. I'm not overly keen on the "clickpad" design for the trackpad on this model, I much prefer dedicated buttons, but I'm getting used to it. I wasn't keen on switching to island-style keys, but it hasn't impact the usability of the keyboard one bit.

4. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Yes, the clickpad design choice on the *40 models was rather controversial with thinkpad fans. Used a friend's X240 once and expected those "soft-"keys to be a lot worse than they actually were, they were fine. Being a trackpoint-only (trackpad disabled) user I do love my physical keys though. :happy:

I miss the old big delete key and the dedicated volume buttons, but the new more conventional (and I guess more aesthetically pleasing) layout is indeed perfectly usable. Similarly while do think the old key design was superior (if only slightly), Thinkpads still have some of the nicest notebook keyboards.

5. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Staff

Finally decided to splurge on a gimbal for the DSLR. Opted for a Moza Air, seems to be a good piece of kit and is more reasonably priced than the Ronin M.

[​IMG]

6. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

[​IMG]
    Grabbed a mostly complete copy for cheap to play with the kids, both my Son (5) and Daughter (8) love it! Building up to the more complex army building games that they want to play but aren't quite ready for (WH/40k/Warmahordes etc)

7. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

[​IMG]
    GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC for some small package grunt :)
    £145 down from £195 on Amazon

legoman likes this.
  8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Hopefully thatll stay down, waiting on some vouchers for amazon so may snag one

9. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Gives credit where its due

Omega Racing Pro

[​IMG]

To replace this 3 year old monster (o.0)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Nov 2017
  10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

3 years! Either you have some chemical-warfare-level farts or wear sand-paper covered jeans?

Vault-Tec, Guest-23315 and Arboreal like this.
  11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Scrot-rot & swamp ass?

Guest-16 likes this.
  12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

or...

(e) all of the above.

13. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Gives credit where its due

I don't even wear jeans lol, its due to the crap fake flux leather they cover these things in mixed lol, hoping this time it'll be different xD

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Have your leg hairs been replaced with steel wool? Are you like a crappy X-men?

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Worst. Superpower. Ever.

16. legoman

legoman breaker of things

At weekends he removes tough ground in stains from cooking equipment

Not really a purchase but snagged £50 worth of Amazon vouchers for a tenner from work after an admin mess up. Was the maximum I could order annoyingly.

17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Popped out to pick up some dinner, asked wife for suggestions: "surprise me"

So, we're having lobster mac 'n cheese for dinner

She's surprised.

Arboreal and jrs77 like this.
  18. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Will be doing fronts and rears, nice to know the rear disc will clear the carrier.

What did you need to break the plusgas out for, got me scared now!

19. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

MrB, I don't know if you've bought them yet or not but Euro Car Parts are doing 50% off discs and pads till 9pm tonight with code FLASH50

mrbungle likes this.
  20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Oh, no, I probably didn't 'need' it, I just like to dab a little on the bolts I intend to undo if they look rusty.