1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

[​IMG]

And some new pedals

2. Xir

Xir Modder

I really like working with the Festool Equipment but can't justify the cost in a non-professional Environment.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

21 Jump Street & 22 Jump Street.

Saw a clip, it made me laugh, the blu-rays were like.. 3 quid each. Figured it couldn't be the worst idea I've ever had.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I really like the Jump Street films. £3 a skull is a good business there :thumb:

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I figured out quite a long time ago that buying any headphone for less than £500 was useless. Mainly because the Grados RRP at £550 and thus I would need to spend more than that to take it up a level. And I was kinda right, too. I've not bought any headphones for about a year now (pink beats). I did buy a gaming surround headset but I do not class that the same. So it was time.

[​IMG]

They should arrive next week.

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I think it's the other way around for me :grin:

MLyons likes this.
  7. Vault-Tec

Nothing touches the Grado. Nothing even comes close. Not B&O, Hifiman etc. I always go back to the Grado, and whilst they are very airy and the soundstage is very open (with them being totally open backed) and lack real head shaking bass that is literally it. They are literally faultless otherwise. So I bought a few pairs in the £300 bracket (for a lot less, obs) and they were miles away. The Grados are literally addictive. So they are very worn looking and I could do with getting a new set of pads, but the load should be taken off a little *if* these Beyers are as good as I have read. WHF? said "The best set of headphones we have heard at this price" (or £850) but obs I got a very good deal on them and they cost me less than half of that. But yeah, finally something that can actually take on my Grados.

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

A GoPro is one of those things on my "ooh wouldn't that be a nice toy" list for around 10 years, but I never quite got around to justifying one. I finally gave in...

[​IMG]

And also...

[​IMG]

And since my research suggested that wind noise was an issue...
    [​IMG]

I had a little play this afternoon, fairly impressed for just grabbing it out of the box and hitting go...

A MicroSD card I suspected to be a bit dodgy confirmed as such, with "SD Card Error" several times through recording, these were the two longest clips.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2018
  9. Vault-Tec

Let me know how it is. I got a cheap "no pro" clone thing for my bike rides.Do want a good one though. Will see how it goes.

10. Mister_Tad

I'm pretty pleased with it - given the pleasant day, went out for a short country jaunt and tested it out.

Having no prior knowledge of GoPros (and uploading anything to YouTube), I'm pretty content with the results. I just used the out of the box settings, made sure image stabilisation was on, set the res to 1080p60 and the FOV to wide. Now I know I should have turned ProTune on to bump the bitrate from 30mbps to 45mbps, and now I think I'll just shoot in 30fps since it's the same bitrate for 30 as it is for 60, so should alleviate the cmearing/blotching on these, but that's the point of having a play.

Vault-Tec and Byron C like this.
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I got a not-dirt-cheap Firefly 7S GoPro clone and to be honest I'm pretty happy with the video quality. The one big flaw however is that it only supports FAT32 filesystems, so it cuts the files every 2GB. If there was no break in the video I could stitch them back together in the edit with no problems, but sadly there is a second or two gap in the video when it switches to a new file.

I have a feeling that it's the little things like this which make GoPros stand out.

12. Mister_Tad

I mulled over whether to GoPro or NoPro for a while - some of the (not-dirt-cheap) alternatives seem to be at least up there with, or sometimes exceed the GoPros in terms of video quality, though the sound often seems the weak point with the clones. I quickly wrote off the bargain basement models as largely pointless though.

What sold me on the GoPro in the end was a combination of the form factor of the Session, the fact they're at least decent all around and no longer need a waterproof case, and the app support - I made an assumption, though unqualified and perhaps unfairly, that the control app for GoPro would be a cut above the rest of them. I figure if it's going to be nothing more than a toy, then it may as well be fun/easy to use.

13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

14. Vault-Tec

Ahhhhh so *that* is why toward the end of the video it cuts out and you only get sound for the last bit. I thought it was buggered, but I have not filmed more than a couple of minutes. I will just have to remember to record extra before hitting the stop button :)

Thanks for that dude. I've not left feedback on it yet because of that...

Edit. Thanks Mr Tad. I will definitely get something better in time. It's mostly a theft deterrent really. Well, and an idiot deterrent (if some one gets in the way of 18 stone going as fast as his legs will carry him.....)

Last edited: 5 Apr 2018
  15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My headphones cost £35. I put one end in my phone, the other end in my ears, I hear music. Works for me!

IanW, Byron C, bawjaws and 1 other person like this.
  16. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Yeah but spergers

17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I figured out quite a long time ago that buying any headphone for more than £50 was useless.

Gareth Halfacree and MLyons like this.
  18. Mister_Tad

We all have our vices, can we just live and let live?

Byron C likes this.
  19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I figured out quite a long time ago that buying a vice for less than £500 was useless.

IanW, Byron C, MLyons and 1 other person like this.
  20. Mister_Tad

Byron C likes this.