1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I admit I have rather gone off the deep end since kicking my PC hardware addition a few years ago. Now have a sizeable watch collection instead. :duh:

2. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Pff, try visiting the British Science Museum's watch collection and having your brother, father and uncle all have the same Casio digital watch. A week with the three of them referring to their watches as museum pieces...

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  3. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I've always wanted a Sinclair Black Watch.

A good friend had one and when using the light you could visibly watch the battery fade it was that power hungry.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2019
    Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Pushed the boat out and bought a €23 Samsung 128gb microSD card to see if it makes the Switch load stuff any faster. FFIX has this irksome lingering black screen between loads that I'm wondering whether it's related to the Sandisk card in it.

If that works out I'll be swapping all Sandisk cards to Samsung.. And then wondering what to do with a spare 200gb, 2x 128gb, 2x 16 and 1x 32 pile of Sandisk cards... Shitload of Raspberry Pi's?

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I did the same some time ago, had nothing but problems with Sandisk.

Not sure i'd trust them in anything else. Mind you i've never had a Pi so that may be a good place for them to live (fancy one but haven't created myself a need for one - yet).

6. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

adidan likes this.
  7. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I never really noticed any specific issues, to be quite honest. Then I was shopping for a single microSD card that wasn't as expensive as a 400gb but still slightly bigger than the 200gb I already had - I ended up with a Sammy and it was just flat out faster. Both writing to it and reading from it on both the outgoing Fiio and the incoming AK Jr.

I still have Sandisk cards for my camera, but that's got quirks. It doesn't like the USB3 card reader that's straight onto the header, but the USB3 Anker adaptor is fine..

The ones I've got in my Pi's don't seem to cause an issue - But one is part of the SM costume so doesn't do much writing, and the other is a Zero W that does Pihole duties. Any speed issues there are down to the Zero W I suspect.

Ha. If I spend money on internal storage at this point it's going to be a 2TB 2.5", 1TB 2.5", 512GB M.2, two 8TB WD Reds and four 4TB WD Reds :p

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've bought presactly nowt interesting of late, bar a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter and a 5.25V power supply I needed for this group test I'm doing, but I did take delivery of this puppy over the weekend:

reformation.jpg

I do wish he'd used a proper silver pen to sign it, though, 'cos what looks to have been a dressmaker's wax pencil is already showing signs of rubbing off...

Vault-Tec likes this.
  10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Just pledged on the Kickstarter for the next volume of "Girl Genius" in print.

[​IMG]

Almightyrastus likes this.
  11. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I may have to join you on that one, although I have some serious catching up to do.

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

If you check the higher reward tiers for "ALL THE EPIC WE'VE MANAGED SO FAR", that one is a set of all 18 volumes (softback) for $450 plus shipping (18 books are heavy!).

13. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Wow, didn't realise that I had quite that much catching up to do...

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

They've been posting 3 pages a week since Nov 2002.

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

So here's the before shot...

[​IMG]

Now after installing the Shield... also an EVGA Powerlink for good measure...

[​IMG]

Like it more in the flesh than I anticipated! :thumb:

Can't say I notice any difference in sound after installing the shield.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Looking at it front-on, there seems to be more clearance than the other picture suggested - glad to hear it's working out for you!

17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

One thing worth mentioning is that the Graphics card is a complete pig to remove from the Lian Li O11D-1X vertical stand for this case! The PCIe retention lock is completely inaccessible with fat fingers. Had to use my phones flashlight in combination with a very thin flathead screwdriver to be able to see what I was doing and release it!

18. Gareth Halfacree

I was worried about that when I shoved the RTX 2080 into the Shuttle SH370R8, but it looks like they thought ahead: there's no retention lock on the PCIe slot, so once the screws are out it just lifts away!

19. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Lately, I've been considering how to rearrange my "study", to take up streaming.
    I was considering buying a remote power switch so I could hide the PC, but then remembered I already had the needed hardware in my hand.

To that end, I bought "Unified Remote (full)" app for my phone. (it does Wake-on-LAN, amongst many other things)