1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Keyboard died,

So Apex 7 purchased

[​IMG]

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

No Lego purchase, name doesn't check out.

IanW and Byron C like this.
  3. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

What does that button, top right, 2nd in, do?

4. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Thanks @Vault-Tec

You convinced me to pick up a 2080ti - managed to get a Founders edition for £520 posted. Will see when the 3070's turns up to see if a bargain or not.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Looking at the breakdown on Adored I think the 3070 is not going to be anywhere near as good as we are being led to believe.

Goatee likes this.
  6. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Thats my gut feeling too.

7. Vault-Tec

It's not a 4k card. It simply doesn't have enough VRAM. So OK, it's a 1440p card then? hmm. Apparently this doubling of CUDA cores will only really be super useful for 4k. At lower resolutions (like Turing) they struggle to get any work.

Time will tell, but I would still rather have the frame buffer of the Ti over the 3070s supposed raw power and better RTX performance.

I would try and find another, but the last few days has left me totally frazzled. I can't do with any more stress right now. I still feel OK, but I reckon one more calamity and I will go over the edge. I'd rather laugh tbh.

8. Vault-Tec

Do or die I suppose lol.

Another 2080Ti. This time an Aorus Extreme, from someone I know, with a Barrow block on for £490. So it's ready to go.

[​IMG]

With one of these on it.

[​IMG]

Better still this one actually f*****g works.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Sep 2020
    David and Goatee like this.
  9. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I shall rectify this

Its actually a small screen

[ZiiP] NaloaC, IanW and Arboreal like this.
  10. perplekks45

Adored can go right in the bin, together with Moore's law is dead. They both have simply no idea and are correct only by accident and by using a carpet bombing approach to information. Something's bound to hit some kind of truth.

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I haven't been following their channels, but I share the belief that the 30 series won't be as awesome as people think. I don't doubt it'll be a step up, and likely a significant one (given the disappointment of the 20 series). However, I still think much of the hype has been coloured by the performance per watt / direct RTX performance comparisons, and blown out of proportion.

I think we're going to see a whole bunch of former 2080Ti owners spitting feathers and vitriol for a different reason.

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm also not sure what to believe.

I expect Nvidia are doing what any company does - Cherry pick numbers to make the new numbers look much better than the previous numbers - But generally speaking there does seem to be an upward trend in performance with their cards.

I'm waiting for some third parties to test the crap out of the range before I make the impressed-face-casual-nodding face.

I think the real problem for Nvidia is that their competition is basically non existent. If AMD weren't busy thumbing marshmallows into cat's bums, then maybe there'd be some tension here, but.. I'm willing to bet that Nvidia will have produced another series of cards that will rapidly explode into various versions, but the high end cards will be the fastest GPU's around, and AMD will be competing firmly in the mid-range at best.

Much like the 2xxx and 5xxx series respectively.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

As a 1080 owner, I think that the 3080 will be the 2080 we were originally promised.

Pete J likes this.
  14. perplekks45

Well, given the fact Nvidia did a last minute "downgrading in name" of every single card in the stack, we're getting a really decently priced bunch of cards for the targeted performance at least.

And even though Nvidia is definitely cherry picking games and resolutions/settings for their strategic number dropping, the cards look mightily impressive so far. Can't say anything about thermals and power draw yet, obviously, but if they can keep both in check on an honestly sub-par Samsung process they'll have a winner in this generation.

You can get a Titan in all but name for roughly 1k less than last generation. That's good for consumers and most likely down to AMD pushing at the barriers of high-end for the first time in years. It does confuse so many people on the internet and Nvidia is doing what they can to keep up the confusion to milk their marketing strategy for all its worth.

15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

[​IMG]

Haven't read this since school. Thought it might be good to reread it now that I'm more aware of life and history in general.

Now, where's my copy of 1984 gone? Probably down the memory hole...

perplekks45 likes this.
  16. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Would also recommend his Homage to Catalonia.

Pete J likes this.
  17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Don't get me wrong, even if Nvidia have been a little excessive with the cherrypicking - The numbers they've published are reasonably impressive, so regardless, the price to performance doesn't sound bad.

I just don't find myself wanting to trust a company on a product that they're actively trying to sell. Same goes for AMD, for that matter. Even though, given a binary choice in fanboy classification, I'd have to put myself in the AMD fanboy camp.

18. perplekks45

I think I said the numbers sound impressive. I definitely AM impressed (so far). But with my usual scepticism turned to 11 because of the RTX crap they shouted across the lands just 12 months ago I don't see myself getting in on the hype just yet.

What I am mostly curious about right now are temps and power draw, because performance looks to be at least good enough for the price. Unless we get a shocker delivered with our dose of review goodness.

19. Vault-Tec

Adored does what he can. However, he had a lot of things right. Namely, it *will* be 8nm (confirmed by sources) and so on. The only thing he got wrong was the CUDA core count, but then so did absolutely every one else. Nvidia deliberately released false information.

That said I don't use Adored as some kind of Mystic Meg I watch his channel because he knows what he is doing and has tons of useful information.

David. The performance per watt is BS. It has been debunked. Again it is severely cherry picked and says "average". You don't use that word for something like that.

20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I know, but that's what was reported initially, and the hype doesn't appear to have abated all that much

I'm expecting the 3080 to be faster than the 2080 Ti, but probably no more than 35- 40%. Certainly nowhere near the fabled 100%+ some are still claiming. I'd be surprised if the 3070 is actually faster than 2080 Ti but, even if it is (a little) the bargain priced Ti cards will probably offer better longevity for similar money.