1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Oh that's a garden job. With gloves, mask, goggles etc. That stuff burns something chronic.

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

We just got some white goods for the new house. Far more interesting than that are the driveway gate posts I picked up from Rembrand yesterday. I got a 3.6m length of 150x150 (6" x 6") and halved it in the yard - the cordless circular saw once again proving its worth! These are currently drying beside me as I work.

[​IMG]

ElThomsono likes this.
  3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

That's a proper bit of wood!

LennyRhys likes this.
  4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

An important home cinema upgrade from the temporary beanbags that have been breaking our backs...

[​IMG]

Three of the chaise units in a charcoal herringbone, side-by-side as an uber-chaise

5. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

[​IMG]

Software-defined radio dongle and basic antennas. Been thinking about sorting out some radio kit for a while and grabbed this off eBay for £33 just to see what there is around here. No transmitting with this just receiving on a very board bandwidth so should pick up a decent amount of things. I can always grab a better antenna if needed, but this should start me off.

6. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Nice!

Almightyrastus likes this.
  7. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Yeah we put a bypass round the pump. Not had to use it yet, but a nice fallback in a worst case scenario. A cheap precaution really!

It also makes cutting off mains to the house far more easy, as the real stop tap involves crawling under the floor

Mister_Tad likes this.
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Bit of a spree lately.

Ikea Kolon floor protectors - about 6 years later than I should have got them, but whaddaya gonna do... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[​IMG]

Ikea Erik - he's a bit of a heavy beast, but it'll fit nicely between our desks and will be ideal to put my PC on...

[​IMG]

Ikea Poang foot stool - other half's mother is going in for knee surgery this weekend, so needs something to rest her feet on.

[​IMG]

ThinkPad X260 - second-hand machine, obvs, also for the other half's mother... She's on a crusty old T420, so we're getting her a completely "new" machine.

[​IMG]

Oculus Rift S. Yes, I know it's discontinued now, yes I know it needs a Farcebook account, and yes I know the Quest 2 has superior specs. But I'm really not sold on the whole 'link cable' or 'air link' thing, I see lots of reports of lower quality visuals, and in some cases lag, compared to the displayport-native Rift S. It was a gamble but honestly I'm still pretty blown away with it; I played about with the DK2 a couple of years ago and despite the screen-door effect I still had a ton of fun. I can definitely still see the screen-door effect with this headset if I try hard enough but it really doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Related: Beat Saber is an insane amount of fun, especially with custom songs. Makes my lardy arse sweaty af though! :grin:

[​IMG]

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

[​IMG]
    These sound, actually very nice, a little too much bass, but just a little.

The stock cable is absurdy long though. The cats like that.

Weekly_Estimate likes this.
  10. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Year's worth of progesterone

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Had our tank retro-fitted today and also installed the same. I wondered whether there was some reason that the previous owners didn't fit any bypass pipework... and I think it was the same reason as everywhere else corners were cut: because you don't regularly see and touch it so why put more than the minimum amount of consideration and money towards it.

We have around a a bit of runtime for the pump from the UPS in the event of a power blip, but for something longer or an outright pump failure, would have been a problem.

Speaking of reliability, you needn't have any worries about yours. Just checking the stats on this one today and it's pumped 1.2m litres of water across 178k activations in the last 5.5 years.

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Parts are arriving over the month for it.

[​IMG]

13. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

I would hope to get a decade out of it, but only time will tell!

We are in a similar position, chasing round historic corner cutting. The shower isn't on a balanced feed for one :wallbash:

14. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

15. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Grabbed myself a new Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME drive to replace the 1TB WD SN750 that I was using till my dad started moaning that he didn't have enough space on his SSD anymore.

WD drive has gone in my dad's pc and I now have the 980 Pro in mine, with his although technically my old 500Gb 960 Evo in a Sabrent USB-C Enclosure.

It was funny once he had Windows fully reinstalled and he saw the difference in speed between the 960 Evo and the WD SN750 when booting Windows and launching Elite Dangerous.

I have not noticed any difference with 980 Pro at the moment, but to be honest I don't think anything is really ready to take advantage of the 7Gbp/s Read speed.

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Have you tried the UE5 early access demo? Megascan texture streaming is heavy on the SSD.

17. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

Welcome to the world of SDR, you'll be surprised what you can do with these little things, but a word of warning, don't get sucked in too much, it gets very expensive if you want to break out from low-cost receiving
    The antenna provided are reasonable for FM and general aircraft receiving, but outside of this, not much else
    If you need some advice, shout (I got quite a few SDR projects on the go from flight tracking, HF receiving, spectrum analyzing, and hopefully soon, lightning detection)

:)

18. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Cool ta. I have got this mainly to see what is about and it is a hell of a lot cheaper than setting up something like a CB base station or a dedicated scanner. If there are sufficient bits and pieces around then I may look at going for my foundation HAM licence (shouldn't be difficult, I'm an electrical engineer, and the initial sample tests seem easy enough).

The one potential difficulty that I am going to have initially is that the house I live in has 10" reinforced concrete walls... Now there is no problem with things like cellular signals getting through, but other frequencies may have difficulties (WiFi is an absolute pig, currently running a 3 hub mesh system, 1 should be enough for a house this size...). I am planning on putting up an antenna pole if all goes well, but we shall see, that might well be a while until that is done.

Oh, and as for getting sucked in too much, that would require pennies, that is going to be my "keeping sane" limiting factor....

19. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

Foundation license is **ss easy (though not done mine, just can't be bothered as I just receive at present, but done several mock exams and passed them all), look at Essex Ham online :)
    If you have thick walls, try looking at a magnetic loop antenna search YouLoop, very cheap and foldable too, failing that, either a small dipole or long wire with a UNUN outside (you'll be surprised
    Also, the RTL-SDR isn't capable of sub 25MHz, so you'd need an upconverter for this, don't buy the cheapo one on eBay, there are far better at little more cost, but for HF you'll need a decent antenna (I have a long wire and G5RV dipole ion the loft and pick up mostly local during the day, and everywhere else during the night (HF propagation is better at night)

Anyway's, if you want more, shout in PM so we don't clog up this thread :)

20. legoman

legoman breaker of things

[​IMG]

Steelcase Please V2 should solve my home office seating issues