1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A couple of art books I found at Costco:-
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Decided to take the geeky route to smarting my home. I'll be following Paul Hibbert's guide on Youtube.
    The below items & a Zigbee USB stick are arriving today. (The game cartridge is home to a 2.5" SATA SSD!)

[​IMG]

Here's the guide:-

Last edited: 13 Jun 2022
    Vault-Tec likes this.
  2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I reviewed both the original NESPi and the new NESPi 4. Word of warning: despite that YouTube video claiming an "awesome heatsink," it's *terrible*. Your Pi *will* overheat, guaranteed. There's absolutely zero ventilation in that thing, it's like an oven. It just about passed my thermal throttling test, but idles at 45°C and makes no effort to cool the PMIC.

You'll also need to disable UAS or you'll get throughput to the SSD measured in kilobits per second - and once disabled you'll see heavier CPU load and lower throughput than if they'd used a SATA bridge that worked properly on the Pi.

IanW likes this.
  3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I'll see what my Dremel can do in the way of "speed holes" in the back of the case.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That'd certainly help, I reckon: the HSF itself is perfectly serviceable, it's just the fact it's sat in a mostly-sealed plastic box that does for it!

IanW likes this.
  5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

[​IMG]

I have four Eloop in black. Going to reverse it so both exhaust but needed an intake as I don't have any. Cables will be split up into red with blue bits.

IanW likes this.
  6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The bundle just arrived. I see what you mean about vents.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Found a problem installing the above newly-assembled Home Assistant hub.

8-port gigabit switch is full, so 24-port replacement ordered. (It was only a couple of quid more than a 16-port)
    [​IMG]

8. veato

veato I should be working

Pixel 6 Pro to replace my Huawei P30 Pro. I was shocked how much some higher-end contract phones cost now but through some Google/Pixel/O2 specific cashback and recycling offers I was able to put up over £300 for the upfront cost making the monthly easier to swallow.

I'm annoyed they don't include a charger. I understand why for environmental reasons and that fact most people have a drawer full but all the Samsung and Huawei ones I have are USB Type A to USB C and don't have the required PD support. For now I'm using my work Mac Air charger and/or the kids Switch Lite charger.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Might be counting my chickens, but I've transferred an unfeasibly large sum of money to my solicitor so I'm hoping that the house purchase is definitely happening...

[​IMG]

4G+ router. There's no 5G in the area, so I didn't need anything bigger. £20 a month on a rolling contract with Smarty for unlimited data, and that'll (hopefully) tide us over until Brsk fits 500/500 fibre in September - and without giving Virgin Media £35 and £45 one-off and £50 a month for their own rolling contract offering.

Fingers crossed it'll do the job!

Also:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was going to go for the Ring camera stuff, but Blink delivers pretty much the same thing minus a few top-end features for a lot less - and has the option of running without a cloud sub, recording to a USB stick shoved into its sync box. Figured I'd get it now, and it can be keeping an eye on the place while we're in the process of moving in. Will probably get a second camera for the garden office.

Also this:

[​IMG]

A surprisingly expensive lump of plastic and short USB cable, so that the Blink's sync module doesn't take up a load of room. You'd think it'd come as standard, but... nope!

Fingers crossed I get the keys on Friday, so I'll be spending Saturday getting all this up and running.

10. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

It was only after transferring the money for my first house purchase that I realised that I hadn't ever actually been to my solicitors in person - cue a panicked check on google street view to check they really did exist! I didn't really need to panic as they were specifically recommended by the estate agent so very unlikely to be a scam but with such large numbers paranoia creeps in.

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Hah! I've never seen this lot in-person, but my wife has - she's been taking documentation in, so it doesn't get lost in the post.

I had to do the transfer over the phone, though, 'cos it was higher than my bank's limit for internet banking - and they did a lot of "are you really, really sure this ain't a scam?"

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Will check them out. Been on the lookout for a SIM-only plan for my iPad.

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I'm on the hunt for a decent can system for my home but I'm irked at the constant cloud subscription models so I think I'll take a look at this blink system

14. Gareth Halfacree

Weirdly, their voice-and-data SIMs are cheaper than their data-only SIMs at every level bar unlimited - and there's no restriction on using the voice-and-data SIM for tethering.
    I'll let you know how I get on! There are a few annoyances I'm already aware of - like there's no privacy shutter or other way to disable an individual camera when you don't need it, and to my understanding they don't talk to your Wi-Fi network but to the Sync Module directly meaning you might need multiple modules at £30 a chuck if you're covering a large area - but it's a decent saving over Ring. And even the cloud sub's not too spenny, at £8 a month for unlimited devices.

EDIT: My mistake, they do use Wi-Fi (2.4GHz only) - you only need multiple Sync Modules if you've got multiple disconnected networks.

IanW likes this.
  15. Gareth Halfacree

Not a great start: just got an email saying "your first month with SMARTY is nearly over." I ordered the SIM yesterday. It hasn't even been delivered yet.

16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I am slightly disappointed.
    For a pricey fan they've cut corners, had to disassemble it today for a clean and the blade retention nut is plastic, not a bit of metal to be seen anywhere, which is proper penny pinching especially on a part that's going to be taken off 2, 3, 4 times a year.
    I want to go and do a full disassembly now and see what else is janky but am refraining for the sake of my wallet.

trigger likes this.
  17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Behold the Air Goo !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Creality Official Ender 3 S1 3D Printer Sprite Dual-Gear Direct Drive Extruder CR Touch Auto Leveling and Filament Detection Sensor DIY FDM 3D Printers
    [​IMG]

I had two Prusas and an Ender 3 before the Prusas were workhorses while I wanted to throw the Ender out of the window, so I'm looking forward to seeing if anything has improved.

19. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

The name certainly has iterated, if nothing else.

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It is truly the "Final Fantasy" of 3D printers.

perplekks45 likes this.