1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Kinda regret saving the tenner myself now, 'cos I've just had an email from Remarkable... "We're unfortunately experiencing longer delivery times than usual due to a supply issue. We know you're excited about your order, and we're working hard to get it to you as soon as possible. Sorry to keep you waiting — we’ll send you a new estimated delivery date once we know more."

Boo-urns.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Sony ZV-1 "vlogging" camera:

[​IMG]

Traded in a bunch of stuff at CeX yesterday so ended up with ~£320 in trade-in vouchers. Was tempted to hold off and get the ZV-E10 instead, but honestly I'm not really fussed about having interchangeable lenses. More of a priority is decent quality 4K footage and having full shutter/aperture control when shooting video.

b1g-d0g, IanW and Arboreal like this.
  3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Nice camera setup, with a bit of Sony Zeiss glass too!
    I had the dubious pleasure of being in Currys this week, and passed the ZV-1 and thought it looked a good camera for that sort of stuff.

Byron C likes this.
  4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, looks like it should do a good job. Looks like there's a SmallRig cage available, so should I ever want to "go mobile" then there's a ton of mounting options. Though I've absolutely no plans for that.

5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I'm sure you can justify a bit of badass looking black anodised scaffolding :D

Byron C likes this.
  6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Blink video doorbell with sync module

[​IMG]

This wouldn't ordinarily be my first choice, because it’s Amazon and not HomeKit compatible, but I needed something today and it was all I could get locally on a Sunday.

Had some… shenanigans… this morning with one of the OH’s relatives that she doesn’t want to speak to. The long and short of it is that she needs to know if it’s him before she answers the door.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Covid boredom is expensive. I recently finished a bike that has taken me six years.

[​IMG]

And have now moved to one that I put together last year with the parts I had. Which was how that one there became how it is now. Obviously when looking for 25-30 year old parts (new, because I am fussy, yet at the right price because I'm tight) you can't just pick up a catalogue. Any way, I had some ideas in mind and then last week I spotted this.

[​IMG]

I immediately knew what it was because you don't see them often. At first glance it merely looks like a 48 hole left side drive hub. The silvery parts give it away though. The whole drive unit and axle etc are titanium. It also uses ceramic bearings. These cost an absolute fortune 20 years ago. Mine for £50.

[​IMG]

That one kinda gives it away.. Any way, I was going to lace up some Alex single wall rims. Then I remembered some I bought last year. These to be exact.

[​IMG]

They were a real pain, but what I did not realise was what they were also sold as. They are what Bob Morales sold as "Kore Speed Hoops". Kinlin is just the OEM. So at £30 I grabbed another set. I then needed the driver cog for the hub.

[​IMG]

Which cost me £20.

Front hub should be easy, spokes and nipples will probably run me about £50, if I want posh ones.

b1g-d0g and cookie! nom nom like this.
  8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Those hooker tariffs seem to have become very specific...

9. Vault-Tec

Always go for the posh nipples. The cheaper ones taste like burgers.

perplekks45 likes this.
  10. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

@Gareth Halfacree It has arrived... :p

[​IMG]

I think you will like it if you are planning to type a lot of notes..

I will say as an outsider to the eco system that it looks like it will need another software update to really come into its own.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, I'm not surprised. Remarkable's... slow with adding fundamental features. Hell, "erasing" stuff with the "Pro" pen *still* just puts a blank layer over the top - so if you then cut-and-paste it you get what you wrote on the top *and* the erase layer, which then blanks out stuff you wanted to keep. Absolutely brain-dead.

It's only recently that they added a default zoom level to PDFs, too - something I'd been nagging 'em about. Previously, every PDF was fit-to-screen and pushed against the left-hand side of the display. I asked 'em if it couldn't centre 'em instead, because... that's nicer. About a year and a bit went by, and an update brought new PDF functionality: centred-by-default *and* with fit-to-height and fit-to-width options, so you don't have to faff around trying to adjust the viewport yourself.

So, I guess the typing update will arrive. Eventually. In 2025, maybe.

12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Purple!
    [​IMG]
    Been looking for a set I like for at least two Years. PBT from Amazon, just under 30quid. Colour is slightly off, they look more purple in reality.

Pete J, perplekks45, Arboreal and 3 others like this.
  13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

[​IMG]

Pete J, Isitari, adidan and 1 other person like this.
  14. veato

veato I should be working

Not really a purchase (unless you count drawings of dogs as currency) but this came today courtesy of a very generous @MLyons and Corsair

Thank you!

And Emily's first PC is almost complete after she managed to get a 'Costco special' monitor out of her Mum!

PSU, Windows key, desk and chair to go. Then like all teenagers with gaming setups in their rooms I guess I'll never see her again!

15. Vault-Tec

Wow what a ball ache. It seems my 90s BMX collecting habits finally stumped me. Finding a sealed bearing, 48 hole hub with a 14mm axle. I had to order it from Aliexpress. Good thing is they are an OEM for who made them all in the 90s. And it was cheap.

[​IMG]

She's a bit on the large side though weight wise, but I am looking into getting a Ti female axle made. That or converting it to female and hollowing it out so it weighs a lot less. Can't order the spokes until I have both hubs in hand, but got me some nice red pert nipples.

[​IMG]

16. Gareth Halfacree

Have you or your missus noticed any problems with the Type Folio, @xaser04? 'cos I've just had an email saying they're putting production on hold for seven to nine weeks due to an unspecified "quality issue" affecting the first batch.

On the plus side, they're giving me a refund of $30 and the shipping back - so that's down from £199 in the press release to £179 at launch to £139 for Connect subscribers to £114 delivered for those of us outside the first batch.

Which is still too expensive for what it is, really, but I'll take it!

17. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Can't say we have noticed any quality issues. The only issues seem to as I mentioned before with the software being somewhat behind the hardware.

EDIT: Wifey just checked her email and has a similar albeit more detailed note about the first batch (I guess as she had already received her Folio). Basically they have identified a batch quality issue with the plastic spine on some of the units produced. Her note states that if she experiences any issues she can contact their customer services team to get a free replacement. Not sure what quality issue she should be looking out for but so far it feels solid and no better / worse than a Apple / Microsoft official Folio style case.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2023
    Arboreal and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Already purchased as a bundle with the first one months ago, but available for download from today:-

[​IMG]

19. Gareth Halfacree

At the paying-for-it stage of this purchase now:

[​IMG]

Gone is the wrecked lawn, with a massive dog-pee bald patch, lumps, hidden rocks, and surprise broken glass. So too has gone the marshland to the top, which was pure liquid mud. In their place, two flat lawns and a *lovely* big patio area. Plus a better path.

Going to let the turf establish its roots, then overseed with micro-clover to keep it fed with nitrogen and lush-green even in dry weather. Well, hopefully, anyway...

Pete J, perplekks45, Byron C and 4 others like this.
  20. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

A) Physically
    B) Mentally
    C) Financially
    D) Metaphorically
    E) Other...

Please tick all that apply.

Notes: For E) Sexually will not be accepted as a valid answer but will potentially be used as evidence