1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Oh, I agree about the lack of control (Same reason I dislike cruise control), but honestly, it doesn't bother me that much. As for holding the brake down, meh. I tend to hold the clutch down at junctions, because I hate getting into neutral and then trying to find somewhere to put my knee (Too tall for most cars) while not leaving the clutch too far away. So holding a brake down wouldn't be all that different.

Autos are, IMO, worse than manuals, but I'd not avoid buying a car if I liked it and it was only available in automatic.

Glad I learned manual, though, because I don't have to take another test to drive automatics (Over here, if you take your test in an automatic, you're only legally allowed to drive automatics unless you retake the test in a manual).

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

What an idiotic law. Driving tests shouldn't verify if you can't press medals and move a stick correctly, they should be about anticipation and road laws and those are the same for whatever car you drive (duhh)

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I get confused while driving manual, a bit like Ghys (knuck).

I keep fumbling for the gear knob when I feel an upshift coming or when I need to slow down and I miss the clutch because like liratheal, I sit on the clutch at lights.

Bloody things are a nuisance. :p

4. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Hold on. Before you learnt you could instantly drive a manual well enough to drive safely on the roads? Do you even driye a manual.

A friend of mine watched a guy have his legs crushed (were later amputated) because the cabbie who was parked up slipped off the clutch too early and rammed him into the back of a parked car. That was a cabbie. It only takes a second to destroy someones life.

The test is about road laws AND ability to drive a car. I'll let you get run over by the people who can't drive but know the rules of the road. [/Rant]

5. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Exact reason why the rule exists, same here in NZ. (although a full licence entitles you to both, but the restricted/provisional licence restricts you if you drove in auto at the test)

Fumbling/confusion=lack of concentration=higher risk of accident

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

To be honest, I like the UK driving laws.

No one obeys them anyway, but that's not the point, as a set of legal documents they make at least vague sense to me.

100 bluebottle castors. Yes, I'm buying flies. For mantis' feeding >.>

7. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Moleskine 18 month diary
    Molekine notebooks
    Moleskine Address Book
    Hole Punched clear wallets
    Peppa Pig Playhouse

8. knuck

knuck Hate your face

To be fair this wouldn't have happened here because a petrol car would have stalled :hehe:

9. Tom @ CCL

Tom @ CCL AKA: Yewen

Is there anyway I can be extreme cheeky and ask if you could post a picture of the pages inside the 18month diary? :)

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I drive an automatic. Don't think I could stand driving a manual as a commuter car (which mine basically is). Heavy traffic is just awful in a manual, with my automatic I just hit the brakes when traffic stops, and let off the brakes to idle when it's time to creep forward. Easy. Or when I'm not in traffic all I have to do to go is press on the gas and forget about it. Easy.

Quite simply, a manual is more work. It can be fun at times to enjoy the control and response, but if you're just trying to get somewhere then why not enjoy the ease of an automatic?

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

The problem here isn't automatic cars as a whole, but the cars you have tried with automatic transmission.

As with everything, there are good solutions, and bad solutions. I have driven some automatics (Opel Combo, if you want to know) that are bloody awful! Slow, imprecise shifts that almost give you a whiplash every time it feels like shifting.

I have also tried the newest Mercedes E-class, which shift so smoothly that you won't even notice. It also accelerates between shifting gears which is impossible with a manual.

Proper cars will downshift (engine brake) if you drive down a hill and push lightly on the brake.

I have owned both manual and automatics, and i prefer automatics. I don't see why I should do something a car could do better by itself. Besides, I do have tiptronic in case I want to play a bit. ;)

The downside with automatics is that they do require some extra engine power to work properly. A 1,3l diesel engine with a automatic transmission just won't work...

12. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

This, I love driving a manual on nice open roads, but when I'm stuck in traffic for more than half of my hour and a quarter commute.... it just isn't worth my sanity after a while.

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I prefer manuals, and have only ever driven an automatic twice. That is all, don't want to get into the discussion over manual vs automatic :p everyone has different preferences. Mine is a clutch and a gear stick ;)

Latest purchases:

Tin of damp sealer
    5 tubes clear silicone
    10x 8.5' x 10" White marble effect PVC wall cladding boards
    5 lengths PVC "U" trim
    Lots of 1x2" timber for batons

I'm finally getting that damp wall in my workshop sorted, with a lot of help from Dad :thumb:

Last edited: 12 Aug 2010
  14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Because I enjoy the control of manual and don't enjoy the lack of it with an automatic ;)

I tried everything from little shìt box (Yaris, Cavalier, basic Impreza) to slightly better (Pontiac Grand Am) to much better (Buick RendezVous, Chevrolet Avalanche) and they all annoyed me except one. The Avalanche (my dad's) is very impressive I must admit. It was the only one that didn't annoy me because I guess it just felt right now having to shift gear in such a huge truck.

Anyways I have nothing more to add. I said before that I fought this war countless times and I know it's just all about taste and preferences so there is no point in talking about it. Plus, we're totally out of topic :hehe:

15. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

They're American. They're all ****.

16. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

About half a kg of pic n mix, the stupid sweet shop keeps tempting me in as I walk past :worried:

This was technically a work purchase but I'd say it's worth posting.
    [​IMG]
    10 mac minis and 2 mac books :D

17. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

:hehe:

I was thinking exactly the same. ;)

18. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

It should all be with me tomorrow, ill grab a pic and PM you when i get it :thumb:

19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

That's a lotta macs :D They all new model Mini's? Pretty!

20. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

They are indeed new models, I'm not entirely sure why we need them, but we apparently do!