1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. McDuff32

McDuff32 Minimodder

lol but they are announcing the ipad 3 in like 3 days.

2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Maybe he got it cheaper than what the ipooed 3 will cost.

3. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I registered my interest on Farnell about 25 minutes after they launched - no email here as yet. Meh, I'll keep an eye on it. If all else fails, I'll call them on Monday morning and enquire about getting one. I have about 300 more capacitors to order from them anyway... Spent the entire morning up until lunch time today testing and de-capping LCD inverters :p

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Fun fact, most LCD inverters have an accute case of dead coil or blown fuse.

6. Unicorn

Yep, unless they're full of Capxon capacitors bulging at the seams :rolleyes: About 1 in 3 that I repair are related to transformer, fuse or choke failure. Most of the rest are capacitor problems and a very small percentage are IC failures or 'other'.

I perform 'preventative repairs' on all inverters that come across my bench. All cheap Chinese caps get replaced with high quality components, mostly Panasonic for caps.

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

back of the bus is better than walking :thumb:

8. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Yeah I paid just under £200 for my iPad and couldn't justify spending anymore. I know the iPad 3 is due to be announced but as it'll mainly be used for web browsing and YouTube videos then I don't think I'd really need a 3 either.

9. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

from where?

10. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Ordered a new printer as a friend wanted to steal my current general purpose one, gone for a HP 6500A Plus for £60:

[​IMG]

Also yet another person who's ordered a Raspberry Pi.

11. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

^ I Still don't get what the rasberry pi actually is.

12. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I've got one of those. has the RRP been reduced to £60 or was it an offer? It was £99.99 when I bought it last year but I found a £40 HP cashback offer.

13. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I ordered it through my employer's catalogue.
    As they have a contract with HP to exclusively use their desktops, printers and monitors they get reduced prices, I think they also get further reductions from being a charity as a few big manufacturers like to show that they're supporting charity on their books.

14. Unicorn

Raspberry Pi is a tiny, single board computer that runs on an ARM CPU, onboard memory, graphics and an open source file system and operating system. What's not to understand? It's a small, open source computer. If you actually meant "I don't see the point in it" then you need to realize that it's a step towards more widespread cloud computing, where you have a small, less powerful, more energy efficient computer as your workstation and you access resources "in the cloud" over an Internet connection. It's also an open door for countless developers. They can come up with new versions of the boad, write more software specifically for the Pi that will be free for the public to use etc. The possibilities are endless - I think it's one of the most important releases the tech industry has seen in a long time. It's almost bringing back the homebrew computer culture, on an open source platform. I can't wait to see what people are going to be able to do with the credit-card sized computer :D

15. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Same here, I just registered interest earlier, so sadly I'm at the back of the queue, but it's going to be an awful lot of fun figuring out what I can do with it!
    What I first wanted to do was buy three of them; give myself a little machine built into my coffee table and give the two downstairs TV's internet access so they can access my HTPC (hopefully).
    We'll see what happens! :D

16. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

No, really, I didn't actually see anything anywhere stating in simple terms what it was. It just looked like some sort of arduino board to me.

17. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

My friend had to return his due to fault and this was his replacement. It's a refurb but it looks good as new :thumb:

18. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

New bed, washing machine, new desk and chair. Van hired, thats me moving out next weekend then !

19. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

The last piece of my bike build puzzle, DT Swiss XMM 140 Twin Shot 15mm:

[​IMG]

20. Unicorn

Just got the email for ordering mine a few hours ago! Done deal, preordered! Mine's going to primarily be a development machine, and possibly a media player for the workshop too :D

Also ordered even more capacitors, ICs and other bits and pieces... Getting crazy now, but I found another inverter (sans monitor) in the workshop that I can repair and sell on. It's for a Samsung 28" LCD and has a whopping 20 capacitors on it, of which about half are dead. Obviously was a "pull and replace" job at the time. The box it was in had a date from 2007 written on it :hehe: I also needed some SMDs for repairing a futaba 2.4GHz RC transmitter.

Ah, fair enough. Well, all you need to know is at http://www.raspberrypi.org/ :thumb:

Last edited: 4 Mar 2012