1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Laugh at me, for I am stupid.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phuzz, 22 Jul 2005.

1. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I intended to buy a Black Ice Extreme, but somewhere between looking, and convicing my wallet it was a good idea, I must have hit the wrong link.
    Package arrived this morning,
    "YAY" thinks me, "the first bit of my w/c setup has arrived".
    "hmm, looks lots smaller in real life"
    /me checks box, 'PRO W/ FITTINGS'
    /me checks paperwork
    'HWLabs Black Ice Pro Radiator with 1/4" NPT threads (NO BARBS)'
    :wallbash:
    BOLLOCKS!

acctualy, now I check the site, they don't sell a single fan Xtreme, only 2 and 3 fan ones, I just didn't read carefully enough. Stupid me :(

Oh well, I'm not sure if I'll stick with the pro to start off with and upgrade later, or flog the pro, or try both as a compirason.
    I'm guessing a single BIP will be more than enough for a A64 3700+ and a 6600GT Right?

Damnit I'm stupid, I'll be checking and triple checking in future :(

2. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

I'd say a BIP was border line for a 3700 and 6600gt and a single BIX would have been much better suited for your needs depending on air flow and how loud/fast you want to run the 120 fan

3. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I've had a look in the cold light of morning, and the fittings are 1/2" across. Which, unless I'm very much mistaken, means the fittings are 1/2" rather than 1/4", so I have grounds to send it back and get a refund. How lucky am I?
    Still feel pretty stupid tho...
    Thanks for the advice coolmiester, I'm impressed by your ability to work out stuff like that in your head :)

4. coolmiester

Hmmm.......you sure you measuring the right bit though??

This might help you better identify the size Barb Sizes Explained

I'd still try to get your hands on an Extreme as i've never really seen the market the Pro was aimed at TBH

5. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Erm, can't you just send it back and get a BIX from somewhere else?

6. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Well, here's a pic, I'm pretty sure that's a half inch hole meself
    [​IMG].
    Darv: I wasn't sure that they'd just give me a refund on something I bought becuase I was being stupid...

But yeah, I'm still looking for (idealy) a BIX with G1/4" fittings, (ie, BSPP not NPT, and no barbs).
    I can't seem to find one anywhere in the UK, but anyone who does gets, er, something. How about this 1.5Gb harddrive eh?

7. Holst

Holst What's a Dremel?

You can allways return items you bought online for a refund as its the law!!

To protect customer from this exact sort of mistake.. you might get charged a restocking fee, but you might not.

8. coolmiester

You should really read this Barb Sizes Explained

.......correct, they are 1/2" across which would mean they are 1/4" thread (not sure if they would be BSP or NPT though)

I'm trying to help further mistakes so please read the Barb Sizes Explained and all will become clear.......honest!

9. Risky

Risky Modder

What barbs, fittings, tube are you usign for the rest of the loop?

I'm sure we can point you at somewhere to get the fittings you need.

10. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Exactly, if they refuse to take it back then you can get on to trading standards becasue they're breaking the law.

11. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

The UKs distance selling regulation act sates you have 28 days to return a product bought mail order or online for ANY reason. I'm not sure about a restocking fee but you have to pay the postage unless they say otherwise.

12. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

They seem to be quite happy to RMA it, provided I've not cross threaded the holes, which I ain't..
    I did wonder if I was making some radius/diameter type error, you learn something new every day.
    I'm trying to go from Aquacomputer plug&cool fittings (tubing is 8mm o/d, 6mm i/d. Fittings are usually 1/4" BSPP, or 1/8"), to a BIX basically. I know HWLabs will do whatever type of fitting a customer wants, provided you're ordering a few hundred or so :(
    Been having a look for adaptors from NPT to BSPP at work today, if I find a good solution I'll post it up. In fact, if I come up with another mistake I'll post it up as well, can't really make meself look much more stupid can I?

13. Risky

Risky Modder

14. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Nice work Risky, I never found that place, cheers. I did find www.hyphose.com, who also stock the right adaptors.

Maybe a mod could add them both to the links stickie?

15. Risky

Risky Modder

16. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Found a BIX with G1/4" fittingshere at watercooled-pcs.com, pricy but hopefully worth it.

17. ifyouknowme

ifyouknowme What's a Dremel?

xspc rads are great 120.3 does my whole system without gettin hot barbs are a pain
    make sure u leave enough space for them to go out they are longer than they look ive had to change half of mine to right angle ones which was tottally my own fault but u learn fasst aking 30 quid errors

Tags: