1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics LCD Fanbus/Light Controller Requests

Discussion in 'Modding' started by SteveyG, 24 Jan 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Hopefully I should be able to start redesigning a controller similar to the one in my signiture next week.

I need your opinions and ideas for what it should be able to do.

When completed I'll sell pre-programmed PICs so all you have to do is follow the simple circuit diagram :p

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

You tempt me. :D

A major temptation would be if it can remember fan settings after a reset/shutdown, maybe using 5VSB?

3. Boron

Boron What's a Dremel?

4. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Good idea and definitely possible, can be done without using 5Vsb too.

5. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

todays micro's have small amoun of data eeprom for storing just such things :D

you might want to provide some GPIO's for people?

Do be warned however i have a similar project in the pipeline, its just on hold atm because i'm wanting to find a reliable LCD source :( (thats value for money, my oriental language skills are terrible)

one fun little thing i've put in mine is HDD access logging. This is quite good if you've got seperate fans for your hdd rack, as more access = more temp. gave a nice little access histogram (however it eats memory).

6. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann What's a Dremel?

wow, that's an awesome looking rig you got there.... and a very neat project.
    so you just push the knob to select what you're controlling, right? i would like it if it could also display the actual speed of the fan in rpms, or %... could that be done?

7. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

right then, i have a few mental ideas on this, so bear with me...:

1) as previously the GP Outputs with PWM... as many as feasable...
    2) as TheAnimus said, maby some digital GPIN for maby recieving signals from other stuff...
    3) titles of hardware adjustable via a settings page on LCD (either a liabry of prediefined ones or a mini OSD of letters that are scrolled with the knob...
    4) Temp sensors in - kind of comes with the GPin so you can set boarderlines on fans.. like if temp goes above 40C increase fan to 80% and wait till temp goes below 35C before resuming previous state.. So maby 4 of the GPouts have dedicated temp headers..

i am sure i will think of more, but i am really glad that this project is looking good to go! :D (for others..)

8. pcjabber

pcjabber What's a Dremel?

Any updates on this project? Everything looks great, and I'm really looking forward to the parts list/schematics. The code for the PIC will be nice too, but I am unsure on how to program one. The pre-programmed PIC option will be nice, but a link for a HOWTO on how to program a PIC and what tools you need would be good too (I'll try Google first ;-))

Thanks!

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Try Hazer's tutorials, a good starting point. :thumb:

10. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Exams finished today, so I can start work on this after I get some sleep.

The main task for the next few days will be providing variable DC for the fans using switch-mode PSU techniques. If I can do this, it'll prevent any fan 'growl' associated with PWM, and also makes reading rpm's a lot easier :)

Please keep any suggestions coming.

11. pcjabber

Thanks =)

12. pcjabber

Great! How do you think you did?
    about the PWM thing -- there is an alternative, that still has the pros of PWM. Macroman wrote about it here:
    http://bit-tech.net/article/52/5

and ::nox|silicon:: wrote about it here:
    http://bit-tech.net/article/32/

HTH...

13. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I'm trying to steer clear of linear regulators also.

I'll be looking along the lines of an LC filter and freewheeling diode to provide a more DC-like output.

14. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

i have another hopefully easily intergrated idea!

software controlled LCD backlight

so after 5 seconds the backlight goes off.. or dims off using PWM.
    If the encoder is touched (either pressed or rotated one notch) the BL comes back on for 5 sec.

The initial activation push / twist of the encoder to wake the BL does not change anything. So if it is on CPU fan and bl goes off, if you press button BL comes on but it is still on CPU fan, you press again to change.

does that make sense? :confused: :)

15. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Yes, it should be possible to integrate that idea. But dimming down to 5% or something may be better, so you can still see the display a little bit.

I'm not 100% sure whether I'll use an encoder or not this time round as many of them give different type outputs. One that I've had produced 4 pulses per step, another 2, and another one only gave 1 pulse per step without indicating this in the specs. This might make it difficult for others to find an appropriate encoder.

Maybe I'll just use up/down and select buttons? Or does everyone really want an encoder to be used??

Apologies for the slow progress. I'm awaiting some parts in the post and also trying to find some funds to get some other parts. I also have some parts at home that I need here :wallbash:

16. pcjabber

Personally, I'd rather have an encoder. It looks cooler :D...If you could specify what # of pulses it needs, we could likely find them at DigiKey, Jameco, Allied Elec, RS Components, etc...

Or, if it needs to have up-down/select, etc to work properly, I guess that's OK too -- we'd just have to figure out how to make it work nicely on the aesthetics =)

Just my $0.02.

17. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

encoder is much nicer... sureley as long as they are electrically similar then the more pulses just means it goes from 0-100% quicker lol.

Anyway, i agree with pcjabber, if you need 4 pulses, it should be possible to locate the neede part. :D

18. pcjabber

Wow, I see what you mean -- there are so many different types: BCD, Grey code, optical, mechanical.... I dunno which is which! Can you give an example of the _right_ one to use for this project (so I can see what price range we're lookin' at...)?

Thanks!

19. '99

'99 What's a Dremel?

What about supporting watercooled systems? Pumps, sensors and so on?

20. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

i guess they all output similar things. Optical is like what is used in ball mice. I would think either mechanical or BCD would be the ones. dont even know what grey code is. :eyebrow:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.