1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays LCD Monitor Keeps timing out

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by PyROZen, 17 Nov 2009.

1. PyROZen

PyROZen New Member

I saved a ViewSonic VG730m from hitting the dumpster today. The monitor is in perfect condition and it works, but it constantly shuts off.

It doesn't turn itself off, but the LCD itself turns off. It's similar to what happens if your monitor lacks a signal, only there is no error message, the screen is just "off". Chaning the resolution or color depth will cause it to momentarily switch back on, but after a fewe seconds the LCD screen turns off again. While the LCD is off, you are unable to see any OCDs to change monitor setting as well. I know the monitor is ON, because i can extend my desktop to the blank monitor and run my mouse off the primary screen. It does not appear on the secondary(VG730m) because the LCD is off though.(the mouse is on that monitor, you just can't see because the LCD is off)

When i say the LCD screen turns off, i am not refering to the monitor itself. The power LED is on(blue) and not in standby(orange). I've tried both the analog and DVI inputs but the same reults on both. Occasionally the screen will function properly, and the LCD doesn't turn off. It's very hit or miss though.

Anyone had the problem before and is it fixable? I've got the tools and skill to solder/de-solder if it's fixable like that. It's just a very decent 2nd display that i'd hate to throw away, and if i can repair and sell it it's $$$ towards the new computer.

Lee

2. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

could be the backlight inverter.. http://www.shopjimmy.com/power-supply-unit-blm1700p60210-1-from-viewsonic-vg730m-1.htm

I'm just guessing though.. you could take it down to any shop and have them test it for around 30 bucks- then buy the parts needed and solder them in yourself.. I've done this with cd players before- they give you a list of chips that need replacement and instead of them charging you 60 dollars labor, do it yourself

only time it's not really doable is when the chip is bucktooth (very small solders- too much work).. that inverter a monkey could put that in