1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LCD monitors, on or off?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sammo1999, 2 Feb 2007.

1. sammo1999

sammo1999 What's a Dremel?

Hey,

I'm in college which means running to classes frequently with short bits of browsing the net in between. My question is:

Is it better to leave my LCD's on and allow them to go into power save mode or turn them off when I wont be using them for a while?

Also at night I use my PC to watch televisions shows I've downloaded on a TV connected to my PC. While watching a show I turn my monitor off since the screen saver wont kick in while a video is playing. Is this necessary? is it good? bad?

By the way I don't care about the cost of electricity, I'm just wondering what is best for the monitors, if it matters at all.

Thanks
    -Sammo1999

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

For the monitor it's probs best to turn it off.

But I doubt it'll actually make any real difference.

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

At least when talking of flat displays that is. I'm not sure, but I can imagine the high voltage parts on a CRT-monitor do not like being constantly switched on and off. Personally I usually pretty much only switch off my monitor if I leave the house and when I sleep in the same room. Power leds drive me nuts...

4. rswami92

rswami92 What's a Dremel?

i no in crts that if u leave them on they can damage the ray tubes but not really sure bout lcd think they put a screensaver there for a reason not only to save electricity but to keep the particles moving so that they dont freeze and leave a permanent impritn on the rays but once agen hav no idea about lcd may be the same

5. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

:eyebrow: Huh?? Proper punctuation helps a LOT if You don't mind. Please edit your post so it is readable.

6. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Actually, screensavers don't save any electricity and aren't really necessary on modern screens, either CRT or LCD, to prevent burn. Any more, screen savers are pretty much around for familiarity. However, cheaper CRTs will still burn occasionally, so it is good to use a screen saver or turn them off. LCDs, on the other hand, don't have this problem. Some will occasionally suffer from something like burn, where an image will stay on screen much longer than it should, but this isn't permanent, even if it lasts as long as a few days.

However, I don't think that's the question. I think the question is whether to leave an LCD on, presumably with a screen saver and ultimately power save, or to turn it off. I use power save after 10 minutes, partly to save the wear on the inverter and CCFLs, and partly to be nice to my CRT since I don't usually use a screen saver. I don't think there is really any difference between turning them off and letting them use power save.

7. Pointy Burdz

Pointy Burdz What's a Dremel?

in light of the recent news, shouldn't the answer be categorically "switch off when not in use" ?

knocks all cpu's back to default and lowers vcore :)

8. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Come on, now. Let's get a link to this news or at least a decent description so we all have a clue what you're on about.

9. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

I keep mine on and run a screensaver. Just so I don't have to wait for it to warm up properly.

10. Pointy Burdz

Oh the irony, I see you are in the US :)

I was of course referring to Global Warming, and how we pc users could do our bit to cut down on un-necesary useage :thumb:

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i turn mine off when i go out, just to save the life of the back light, its only got so many years of life, and well i hate upgrading screens!

plus at night i hate the power leds aswell!

12. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

OK

To save the planet from Boiling too early (as it will do in a few billion years anyway)

Use an autosensing powerstrip :idea: and save money and time unplugging stuff :)

Simply shut down your PC and it will shut down everything else too...

http://www.oneclickpower.co.uk/

Shame you can not use with Laptops and mini-pc's but rec'd by the Energy Saving Trust!

Link - Well no American sites in Google no surprise there!! :sigh: http://www.techdigest.tv/2006/10/technology_on_s.html

Matt

Last edited: 3 Feb 2007
  13. Jipa

as the warming is indeed global, I have no idea why it's especially ironic if an american doesn't know what are the "recent news" ;) (Actually I do, but that's not the point.. ehm) It would definitely be a good idea to always switch things off instead of just leaving them on standby. Like what's the point having them "ready to go" few secs here and there... Globally the amount of power drawn by standbystuff is just ridiculous.

14. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

In terms of electricity:screen
    Turning on a CRT takes up more energy then letting is "Sleep" for 48hours" because there is a jolt to turn them on and warm up the tube (that's that little noise you hear)
    In terms of life:
    I would suspect sleep mode would be better because it protects the screen from burn in and protects the circuitry from the "jolt" of powering on.
    Also the bigger the CRT the more this matters. My 24in crt requires a larger "jolt" than my 17in

LCD's:
    I would suspect that everything that applies for crt's applies here for LCD's.
    Here's another thing to consider. Lcd's are prone to haveing dead pixels. This only occurs while the screen is on. So if you figure that 70% of the time it is on it could be off you have reduced the chance of haveing a dead pixel by 70%

edit: and you ****ing britts quit thinking ou guys are so much ****ing better than Americans. Just because Big Buisness is a little out of hand in terms of protecting the world doesn't mean our people don't do their part. So **** off. I'm quite honestly sick of all the snickering in this forum and stupid comments like that.

15. Jipa

Yeah well. Shouting about it on a forum sure makes things better. You can have your opinions but IMO that's a slightest over reaction as I see no "being better than others" stuff in this thread. I hope you were drunk when you wrote that.

16. Pointy Burdz

for clarity, which shouldn't be necessary in these parts

the irony was that the USA pulled out of an agreement to help reduce global warming,

my end statement is directed at all pc users regardless of race religion or nationality

Last edited: 3 Feb 2007
  17. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately "an inconvenient truth" can be difficult to accept.....

18. ckfordy

ckfordy What's a Dremel?

I usually turn the monitor off when I am away long periods of time. But when I will be away for like 5-15 minutes I will leave it on cause I have the screensaver come on at like 5 minutes.