1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Lean and Green - 15-12-14 - as complete as it's going to get

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 28 Jan 2012.

1. Asouter

Asouter --------

So is the modded thumb gonna be the power switch ?

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I lopped off the Northwest end of my left thumb cutting Sheetrock. Went to the hospital, Nurse like a lineman for the Rams soaked it in some green stuff and then proceeded to SCRUB it with tiny brush. Ended up super-gluing it back on. Nerves be dead. Have to be careful chopping in the kitchen still.

Mod on!

john

3. Kone

Kone What's a Dremel?

Really cool design, I like it :thumb:

4. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Congrats on your nomination m8!

5. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

You deserve it!

Although, i really like the work, the case looks a bit "high" on the renders. Maybe it's just because it looks huge on the images while the real case isn't that big.

6. Martininho

Martininho What's a Dremel?

Congrats on the nomination. Nice work as expected!!

7. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Got my vote mate! Still such an excellent project :D

8. Martininho

did this die? what is happening Waynio :eek:

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

First of all sorry for doing a disappearing act, sheet happened due to my HUAS suffering brother, HUAS is a diagnosis I made up, it comes in 5 strain levels ranging from tiny PITA to massive PITA & stands for head up ass syndrome. :D I would say it's a very real condition also because he said his head was in a dark place & I'm sure it would be dark if a person has their head up there ass. :hehe:

:D Thanks Cleveland, I appreciate you taking the time to write that mate :thumb: & hope it didn't cause you to take any grief :D I don't really see why it would.

I like the way doing it yourself costs so little compared to paying others to do it, something in my earlier creating days I actually tried but got ignored by CNC places that said they do 1 off orders or big orders but yeah they ignored my requests so knew going DIY was the only way if I wanted to make things, plus it's cheaper in the long run & I can make things whenever I feel like it so the only time CNC would make sense for myself is if I wanted to mass produce or I become too injured to mod because I've built my skills enough to not need CNC for my personal interest especially with adopting the awesome method of using layers to create different forms that would usually need a mill to do them, still got heaps to learn though in many areas of modding. :D

For my budget I like to take a good look at computer stores to see which case I would buy if I wasn't a scratch builder & use the price tag of it as my budget, only time I go over budget is if I fail on making any parts so it doesn't go much higher usually.

Some are fortunate to have gained the skills to use nice machines & have access to them so I don't know if they get things done nice & cheap but I assume they do, also going DIY builds an alternative set of manual skills that could be set up in the garden if wanted & the more difficult parts are, the easier more basic parts are to do so god only knows what I'll be doing after this project if I keep pushing the difficulty. :D:dremel:

It's been a pretty awesome journey getting from how I was when I started to being able to make whatever I feel like making as long as I'm dedicated enough. :)

:D:blush: John, this is why you rock mate, hopefully a nicely written article on the subject will help modding a lot, I look forward to reading it. :thumb:

:D:blush: Arrrgh I'm overwhelmed :hehe: thanks jokkos. :)

Oh mate, it got modded even further & not in a good way. :duh:

Nightmare :eeek: can only try & imagine the pain, no fun at all getting properly hurt, sounds like torture from the nurse, they did things just a little bit rougher back then eh. :D:eeek:

Thank you Kone, it's certainly a bit different. :)

Thanks Pete, didn't expect it to be nominated so soon with it just being a big stack of panels but it must have been the loose fit of the HTPC I did that helped them decide to put it in. :D

Thanks ferry :) it is a bit high when both rigs are combined but as individual rigs they are nice & small really but made to fit really well together, it's 3 different units merged into 1 & if I do the test bench option also it will be 4, it's a modular design so could go even further if I choose to. :)
    HTPC
    HTPC to Gamer rig stand
    HTPC to test bench rig stand
    HTPC to stand

I could even make an extra unit that sits below the gaming rig that supports water cooling "if" I chose to. :D

Thanks mate, think I could have just called this one the scroll saw challenge with the amount it's been used. :hehe:

Thank you Sarakon, appreciated, really up against some awesome competition as always but wouldn't want it any other way. :D 2x 3rd place if things stay the same. :D

:D Noooooo but have had to take a time out to physically recover, got into a fight that I wasn't wanting to hurt my opponent so I came off in bad shape, most people would just let their survival instincts take over & try to whoop ass but I wouldn't even bruise my brother but I did manage to take him down & restrain him but because of my odd approach I bashed my thumb badly the one that just recovered & also heavily strained my lower spine so been recovering since the 7th of May, wasn't sure if I'd recover so I stayed away from modding so I wouldn't get the urge to carry on while needing to recover good enough.

Think I'm almost there now to continue, it had me a bit worried really, on the 8th when I dropped a comment in the MOTM thread that morning I was like a turtle stuck on it's back & I couldn't even pick up the sugar tin to make a cup of coffee due to the pain, was in fairly bad shape.

The past few days though the pain has been really going away & the creators itch started coming back in a big way so any day now I will be posting updates again I'm very very very happy to say. :D:thumb:

10. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Great comments from Cleveland and John :thumb:

Take care Wayne, rest and stretch that back. Hope you get back to your passion soon. :)

11. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

I was wondering what had happened. I'm sure you will pull through just fine :lol:
    And the competition is tough, just like last month...
    And +1 to what craig said!

12. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Damn, we need you beck here! :D

Best of luck recovering, hope you feel better very soon. :)

13. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

BLUEHORSESTUDIOS I haven't lost a finger yet!

Your metal fabrication is top-notch,crazy, mad skills you got going my friend.

14. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

Your Welcome! After viewing your log, it just hit me that one night. I should also mention years of frustration in trying to find the right words to describe this debate. Now when the question or argument comes up, I will point them right back to your log for the definition between the two.

I also agree with your opinion in the response.

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Craig, still a twinge of pain but nothing to stop me from modding now. :D:dremel:
    Just sunshine after an epic amount of grey skies leaving me heavily starved of the warmth of the sun :lol: typical. :duh:

Thanks Sarakon, pretty bad month really but hopefully I'll be progressing along like a gooden tomorrow. :D

Not looked in on the MOTM thread since the other day. :D

:D Cheers kidmod, mindset has come back, body hasn't fully yet though but I'll be back onto it tomorrow. :)

:D Man that means a lot coming from you Ron, your modding is much the same as your compliment, cheers mate. :thumb:

:hehe: Years of frustration, Cheers Cleveland. :D

I have an update but it's not real world progress, concept tweaks & improvements that swallowed up yesterday, probably indistinguishable really to what's already been seen but I think everything is ready to make now unless I decide to add exhausts in the roof of the gaming rig.

If it's wanted I could upload it, but if virtual modding prep work bore the masses I'll hold on until I have actual solid progress. :D

16. Paslis

Paslis Minimodder

I hope you recover soon mate and i cant stop telling this but i still admire your patience and well executed work. :D :thumb:

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I'm as healthy as I'm gonna get for now so tomorrow I get on with this, thanks Paslis. :D

The past few days I've spent quite a bit of time getting everything spot on & ready to print including mounting points on some parts already made just so I have a very solid plan to follow where my efforts won't be a waste, all the curved bits & the fans needed extra design work so everything is ready to go forward now but the roof of it I still might put some extra work into as it's the only part that hasn't had much thought put into it, just been putting more into the internals & thought why just do 2 custom fans & why not the lot. :D

Decided to use clear acrylic for this now & also made the fan duct use acrylic also so the custom fans aren't hidden & kinda looks like they float, will be a mix of 1mm & 3mm acrylic so I'll make a gripping piece so the 1mm stuff isn't prone to getting damaged, the plan is so the duct piece easily slots tightly in/out of place with enough slack wire to allow putting it aside when doing any maintenance.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CPU cooler will either be a Zalman CNPS12X because it cools nicely enough, is a triple fan out of the box & looks awesome or I'll just mod my prolimatech megahalems so it doesn't need the fiddly wire fan clips which I don't like.

The curved cover piece for the front of the HPTC I had no idea how to accurately do it in real life or make the cut out bit accurately in the design so knew it was 1 of the bits I was very unsure about, during the process of getting the fan cut out in the curved panel I learnt a few new skills so I'll be able to design patterns into curved panels from now, took me a while to figure it out but could do it nice & quick now. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also started using plugins on sketchup after cheapskate mentioning about them when I was trying to get accurate measurements of curved pieces, very handy 1 called flattery for flattening out curved panels, does it in segments of wherever the different angles are which makes for a totally accurate printable design of a curved piece with patterns inside it, so it all depends on my execution now. :D

Shame nothing was done during May so far but there is still just over a week left of it where I could do quite a bit & the little extra time I spent getting the design right also gave me a bit more recovery time, but I'd say I'm about as recovered as I'm gonna get for now, could be a long time before it's fully recovered & not so prone to extra damage.

So today I'll get toasted in the sun & tomorrow a cram packed week of modding. :dremel:

Lastly for this last concept update before the modding continues a look at how it was in February & how it looks now, I'll update my first post with the revised one also, the design has been a work in progress from the start even though I thought that's it with the first update. :lol:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

18. Martininho

Quite a bit of progress designwise. Progress is progress my momma always used to say!!!

Anyway, good to see you back up to speed mate. Have fun baking, the sun is killin me!

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks mate :) a nice hour & half was all I needed to see the gorgeous blue sky & feel some warmth so I'll get onto this right now fully recharged. :D

20. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

I don't know why, but every time I come back here and see the full design I think "WOW" :thumb:
    (That next to that you're actually creating it :) )