1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Lean and Green - 15-12-14 - as complete as it's going to get

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 28 Jan 2012.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

My god I need a scrollsaw! Simply amazing Wayne!

2. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

All this high quality cutting out is giving me scroll saw envy :)

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I think I'm getting a dose of that myself.. Looking superb wayne:thumb:

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

They are nice for more intricate cutting, chunky stuff takes a while though but it is very nice being able to just go & do some whenever you feel like it at home, scroll saws I'd recommend them as much as a jigsaw, dremel or drill. :)

:D Cheers Keir.

Thanks Jeff :thumb:

Was too distracted by star trolls & competitions to focus on actual modding properly. :duh:
    I'm ready to get my rear into gear now though. :):dremel:

------
    Today

Thanks to a little word with Antony & him reminding me what MOTM & MOTY is about because I seemed to have let it's meaning slip my mind, I have snapped out of all negative thinking & absolutely believe I won't fall under like that again, I'll kinda ignore other competitions & only properly acknowledge MOTM & MOTY, not get screwy quietly or loud.

Campaigning, it's optional, not very sporting but when people know others will do that it's bound to happen but I'll continue to pass on doing that & because of that will never get upset about placings, I never did to be honest so it must stem to others getting upset & it bothering me a bit.

Still want to be in what I think will be the most awesome MOTY yet, seems to be best of all approaches going into it & I find that extremely awesome. :D

I really need to dig deep though to manage getting this ready for competition, might be impossible now but I don't always acknowledge impossibilities. :D:rock:

Advanced approaches, got that issue out of me a good while ago, the key is to make the best of what you have & be happy about that, campaigns no issue neither now so mod on I will. :D:dremel:

That does mean I opt back in competition by the way but my way of competing is to just mod & aim for awesomeness. :)

I would have made this edit a new post but without an update I'd be shamelessly bumping my own thread lol.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2012
  5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

No step by step photos this time, this is some progress from yesterday & today, been trying to get back into making this come together but nothing new was done that you haven't seen already, drilling, tapping, heating brass inserts into the IO piece to fix to the sliding mobo tray, everything shown here now though is fully fixed together & it's nice & solid, :D alignment of the triple layer mobo tray holding pieces was off a tiny bit also which needed some filing so there aren't any steps you can feel, tiny problem of it looking slightly off now so I'll do something to make it look better than intended. :D

Already started on removing the steps but some can be seen still here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that they aren't steps but just surface differences in need of further finishing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could do with buying a detail power sander for doing all the outside edges as soon as I can, filing will be too iffy with it all being cut to the line, bit of power sanding will speed things up a little without taking too much off. :D

I'm stopping doing massive sessions & will instead just do a session every day, started this project with that in mind but didn't take long for me to start burning myself out by not pacing myself properly.

I paid for a 2 year photobucket sub so changed my settings to what I re-size my images to when taken off the camera but think I'll make future ones a little smaller than this & reserve bigger res for final shots of things.

6. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

You're still my favorite insane person! :thumb:

7. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Nice progress man... But a power sander?? That´s not for you Waynio. You must maintain your stamina level!!! :D:D:D

8. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Power sander's the way to go. Christmas is coming up pretty soon. ;)

9. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Agreed but you're running a pretty close 2nd lol

10. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Not a power sander! More files and more patience!! :p You are also my favorite insane person! Along with Angel OD! ;)

11. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

Good work, man.

12. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Everyone likes insane people :D Awesome work Waynio!!

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: Cheers Angel :thumb:

:D:p Thanks quizz

So true :D been looking for an OK one, not too expensive, not too cheap & easy break, ryobi doesn't look bad & have a jigsaw by them & it's good & reliable. :)
    Hole punch, sheet of hook & loop tape to make variable grit pads & it will be sweet. :dremel:

:D

:D Cheers Alex :clap:

Thanks KrunchR :)

What's not to like :lol: thanks Sarakon. :)

I'll be sure to make some more progress today. :dremel:

14. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

It has been a while since i checked this build fort the last time. (too busy to read BT daily) And youre still not done cutting, filing and sanding the aluminum. You're working too slow! ;)

No, just kidding, a lot of work has been done since then, its coming together nicely!

15. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

WOW that is amazing, so much effort with the frame and panels! Great work with the HDD spindicator and those funky glass balls too, love it :D :D

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:lol: Whole lot of cutting. :eeek::D
    Thanks ferry. :thumb:

:D Cheers coolamasta, got squigly to thank for pointing out the spindicator mod & riekmaharg2 for really helping by doing the not so newb friendly electronics bit, :D I set it so the spindicator will just be the power light, was told later it could have been a smaller assembly, d'oh. :duh::D

OK, the HDD rack alternative version, earlier box version was missing a 5th slot unfortunately so I screwed that one up, this one isn't a box one & instead a plate with added slot pieces that fix to the aluminium above & below & has fixing plates for 4 HDD & 1 SSD. :D

Decided to use the 3mm brown tint acrylic.
    [​IMG]

Freshly cut.
    [​IMG]

Sanded to the lines.
    [​IMG]

Bunch of bits.
    [​IMG]

Drilling the fixing plates now so I don't drill in the wrong spots later.
    [​IMG]

The fan perch v2 it should fit perfectly to the custom fan when I get them made.
    [​IMG]

Because of how well the IO pieces worked out I decided I'll do that technique of using a template on 1 of the pieces, draw & cut around the extras & stick them together fully before cutting the pattern for layered pieces of acrylic from now on, I'll just have to go on the slowest cut speed so it isn't as prone to melting.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the acrylic parts waiting to be glued together, might do this before I go bed.
    [​IMG]

4 HDD & 1 SSD tray.
    [​IMG]

Cut.
    [​IMG]

Sanded & drilled & countersunk.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

End of latest session. :)

17. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

Wonderful as always! :jawdrop:

Congratulations dude:thumb:

18. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

I could have sworn you said no more big sessions just small sessions... If this is what you get done in a small session my ass is really lagging :p nice progress there bud!!!

19. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Lots of solid progress Waynio! Lookin' good :thumb:

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Marcos :)

:D Thanks Squigly, was all square cuts & a bit of drilling so not so complex but it reminded me of how unpleasant it is to cut thicker metals with the scroll saw after you get used to cutting thinner material, every thickness has it's own difficulty. :lol:

Thanks Mosquito, it's a bit late now but I'll get something done today still. :thumb:

----------
    Hmmm, had some RL stuff I had to get done this week so 2 days slacking & 2 days consumed with RL since saying I'll be at it every day, hopefully I'll manage to have a lot less interference days from now. :D

1 Thing is for sure, if I manage to have this complete by 5th December I will be utterly amazed. :hehe:

Last edited: 25 Oct 2012