1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning to Drive

Discussion in 'General' started by -A-, 24 Feb 2004.

1. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Héhé

I've got my license already ! (last month).

I passed my theoretical exam, in the first time, with just 3small mistakes
    and I passed my practical exam (driving around); in the first time aswell!

yeah congrats to me!

But about the lessons. I thought they were fun! the instructor never yelled at me .. or got mad... when I did something wrong in the first lesson; he just took over the pedals (they have them aswell here.. don't know if thats everywhere the same), and he took over the wheel.. and then let me take it over again..

but he was always calm and friendly. I enjoyed the lessons quite alot!

good luck !!

L

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Oh God.. I used to BE a driving instructor... give the guy a break.. he spends all day in a car with people who can't drive... trust me... it's not fun. He really shouldnt be shouting at you tho... that's not good!

3. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Fair enough, it wouldn't be my choice of career - I value my life! :D - but for someone better able to handle the stress than I, it's a rewarding job I'd guess. The point is, if you can't take the pressure of putting your life in the hands of a learner, don't become a driving instructor! There's no excuse for a teacher of any kind going all mental at a pupil who is doing his / her level best.

4. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Just an update on my girlfriends driving, shes had another lesson and their has been no evidence of any near crashes into lamposts! Go liz!
    I really need to learn to drive at some point.

'doc

5. Arien

Arien What's a Dremel?

well i've got my practical test tomorrow morning at 8:40.. getting a lil bit nervous cos i really don't like round abouts. :worried:

6. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

I finally managed to book mine a few days ago... roll on March 31st! Good luck!!!! :thumb:

7. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Good luck, hope you dont get hit by too much traffic at that time
    'doc

8. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

8:40am you got a decient test time. mines at 1:33pm yes thats 1:33. so they can finishe the last test at 1:30 and put the kettle on. no come on what kind of BS time is that. even my instructior questioned the DSA about there test times and the guy representing the DSA for w. Midlands didnt even know the set test times

9. Arien

Arien What's a Dremel?

The traffic could work in my advantage as i will be able to see whats going on infront of me (hidden junctions etc..) by looking at the traffic infront.

Only thing i'm dreadding in the round-abouts.. i just can't get confident when coming from right to left when approaching your exit.. i always think i'm gonna hit someone.

10. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

8:40 :eek: thats a horrible test time, i'd be knackered at that time in the morning :p

11. Arien

Arien What's a Dremel?

W00t! I just worked out that if the drivers are nice i shouldn't hit anyone when turning off a roundabout because they have to give way to people coming form the right! :D

Thats made me so much more confident about the test.

12. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

you're doing your test tomorrow and you didnt know that :eeek:

13. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I agree with the above! It doesn't sound like your ready to take a test yet if you didn't know that...

14. Arien

Arien What's a Dremel?

It's not i didn't know it as such.. as i always know i have to give way to the right etc. But i just had a fear of smacking into someone on my left side when turning off from the right and it just clicked how giving way to the right stops this.

15. olv

olv he's so bright

i think there is this misconception in general about driving tests, that the examiners are evil and try and cach you out. People get angry when they get failed if they think there is no reason. But a driving test (at least in the uk) you are only showing the examiner that you can drive safely. if you can drive then it is really easy, if you can't, then they'll see that and you won't pass simple as that.

try and be as relaxed as possible, take your time and just think about what you are doing. Good luck for tomorrow.

16. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Agreed.... you dont shout at your pupils.... you just dont.

Rewarding task? LOL.... it goes like this:

They pass: It's because they're a great driver
    They Fail: It's because you're a crap instructor

It's a thankless task actually

:hehe:

17. Arien

Arien What's a Dremel?

Well.. i failed :(.

But.. i'm not too disappointed.. i failed on something i should have.. a person stepped onto a crossing in the sun.. i failed to see her and the instructor had to tell me to stop.

Apart from that though he said he couldn't fault my driving which made me feel alot better, just about to book another test :).

18. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

Arien: unlucky!!!

My worst habbit is not checking mirrors all the damm time or not checking enough when pulling out, ive gotta month to go and i'm already nervous!

19. Arien

Arien What's a Dremel?

All i can say is stay calm.. keep cool and take your time. I had 5 minor faults for mirrors but out of a maximum of 13 faults thats not bad. Just take your time because if you panic and rush, thats when bad things happen. Also if you THINK you have failed for something.. forget about it and carry on.

For example in my test i came down a narrow road with parked cars on either side and i had JUST gone past as opening for me to pull in when i noticed a car coming to other way.. she had plenty of time to pull into a gap but she carried on.. i had nothing i could do so she reversed into the gap.. i thoght i had failed for that but the instructor told me later that it was 50/50 and that if i hadn't done the pedestrian crossing thing i would have passed.

Bit of a bummer thinking about it, but i'm glad i failed for something like that because i will always be vigilant at crossings now :D.

20. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

I just remembered a wee incident i had that sorta works like that. It makes me wary of going fast.

I live in the country and the country has back roads :) My parents are trusting enough to let me drive their car by myself along these back roads(its '95 1.7TD Vauxhall Astra so thats probly why) but on one occasion, acceleration and speed got the better of me :naughty: i was hitting 45mph around a blind corner and at the other side was a man in a land rover who was doing about the same speed! :jawdrop: I had about a half a second to react so i had to put the car onto the grass bank at the side of the road, the landrover driver (scared poopless) managed to squeeze past and i drove back home, luckily unscathed. When i checked the tire marks later, i was about 2inches from the hedge..... i drove slow after that :hehe: