1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning to Drive

Discussion in 'General' started by -A-, 24 Feb 2004.

1. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

That's damn good!

Your lucky you have decent examiners, the ones here are b*stards and fail so many people when they should pass. The Test centre has had EXACTLY the same pass rate for the last 4yrs, which says a lot considering that they had three new examiners last year. (My mate is an instructor so I know this)

My first test I failed because I didn't stop long enough at a STOP sign... there is no min time you have to stop! so long as you stop!!!

2. Arien

Arien What's a Dremel?

I stopped at a junction that i could have gone out of straight away.. i ended up sitting there for about a minute or so cos a trickle of cars went by.. i thoght i would have failed for obstruction cos there were drivers behind me but nothing was said about that.

3. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

Well they know that a) your gonna be abit nervous and don't want to drive out infront of someone hence taking abit longer
    and b) you don't HAVE to drive out straight away, not if your not sure its safe! And if there are cars going by, again they know your not gonna be that confident about getting out in a hurry, and its also in the rules that you shouldn't affect other cars...

in other words, you where doing nothing wrong, at the most its a hesitation minor?

4. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

Once or twice every week I catch two buses to get to the local area where I will be taking my test and have two hours of extremely stressful town driving. Then make my way home glad it is over, I have to learn to enjoy driving :)

I'm 22 now and I've been learning on and off for quite a few years now, only really got serious last year and have had lots of lessons since then. My test is on the 17th and I have a long way to go before I am ready to take it and not fail it!

My biggest problem is I have spent most of my life doing my level best to ignore people, so my visual awareness is crap. Plus Leamington Spa's and Warwick's traffic system is just plain awful. My instructor and I have a difference of opinion, he reckons I should be decisive and go. Trouble is when I try to be decisive I nearly cause an accident, gauranteed :) Arghhhh.

Driving is one of the worst things I have ever had to endure in my entire life.

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Same as me, I'm 25 now and I've been learning on and off since I was 18.

I've passed my theory test twice, had 3 practical tests (with the same examiner, all on my first theory pass) and now I've got to resit my theory again (it's a stupid rule that the theory test expires after two years).

I bought myself a car about 3 years ago thinking it would get me more motivated to get my licence (and did it? no! - It is a nice drive mind :naughty: )

I can drive just fine with either my dad or my brother (4 years younger that me) sitting next to me, but I just can't seem to get round to putting in for my test.

At the moment I've got to get two buses into (and out of) work. with all this snow that's about (and the fact that the buses didn't run on thursday after the snow started falling - nearly leaving me stranded in work) it's really kicked home how much I need to get started driving again.

6. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

It really is an aquired skill and a confidence thing. I found it came with time. Your driving instructors probably recognised it as a problem hence telling you to be more decisive.... one thing you could do is just think...go for it, and if I get it wrong the instructors there to prevent me hitting anyone...and you'll probably start to get the hang of it?

Just an idea :)

7. Phrozenpenguin

Phrozenpenguin What's a Dremel?

That isn't a stupid rule imo.
    If you cant drive within 2 years of your theory, then you deserve to have to pass again.

8. Vo0Ds

Vo0Ds Fake potato

I had my test today, i crashed and burned :sigh:

Not literally thank God but i still f*cked up :waah:

I screwed up first when i was reversing around a corner, i overcooked it and turned too hard and clipped the kerb, that screwed up my head for the rest of the test, i hit another kerb on my 3 point turn and at a roundabout, someone didn't indicate so i had to stop in the middle of the bloody thing :waah:

I'm really drained and pissed off now :wallbash: *sigh* try, try again :worried:

9. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

4 Things :)

1. I passed first time with 9 minors (5 for gears)
    2. I got my first car on Monday
    3. I was told by the DVLA they had posted my full licence on Tuesday
    4. I recieved a shiny pink card today :)

Keep going everyone you'll get there in the end! Just try to relax with it, calmer you are the better you're driving will be.

10. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Unlucky mate, better luck next time. I know how it is when something happens in the first 5 minutes and does your head in for the rest of the test :rolleyes:

11. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

i sware my instructor has done this on purpose the alst few lessons. this is roughly how my last 2 lessons went.

leave my house onto 40mph road A3400 (straty rd) head down towards hocley heath speed ups to 50mph. turn off down random country lane national speed limet. then suddenly we appear on 4 ashes rd changes to 40 then into residential area.

now that seems kinda ok but for some reason i can cope with going from fast to slow and staying slow. at 30-50 im ok and sticking to speed limet but when been going at 60-65 going back to 30 seems hard i usally end up at 40.

yesterday when i had my lesson we had come out of a 40 to a 30 to a sharp turn. and my breaking went and i hit the corner at 30 (speed for that corner about 15-20mph. (if had have been icy i woudl have been in a brick wall))

so he tole me im a speed freak and if i dotn get that out of my system i will never pass my test.

some more bad things abotu me is i start to get to complacent if i start a leson good i got abotu 30-45 mins into it then i jus loose it and i start making silly mistakes. (stalling in 2nd gear while moving now u try that )
    or when changing from 2nd-4th i hit reverse instead:O)

yes i am a speed freak (id say more of an adhrenalin freak)thats why at weekends i find big long hills and throw myself down them on my bike ( it a Dj bike bit i use it for Dh and trials. )

12. dirtbiker

dirtbiker What's a Dremel?

I've passed now (second go) and i still find myself hitting reverse when changing from 2nd to 4th, so tend go change up via 3rd nowadays.

I also have strange compulsions to see how fast i can go... :worried:

Nah, its all good, but i sometimes get lonely in the car on my own... :rolleyes:

13. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Think you'll get a minor for changing from 2nd to 4th in your test anyway. Thing I learned over my many driving tests was just to keep it simple. Don't try to drive like your dad - my dad pulls off a 3 pointer in about 4 seconds, which is all very well in a busy road or whatever, but in your test the examiner will think you're a cocky b****** and fail you for something lame, like improper use of testosterone or something. Same applies to the old 2nd-4th switcheroonio - we all do it in normal driving, but save it for when you've got the pink card!

14. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

i was told it doesnt matter how you go up and down the box aslong as the approprate gear is selected. and i was only told to skip 3rd if accelerating from 0-40 after a road junction as you can get to 40 without screaming the engin so theres no need for 3rd.

15. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Well, I just got my learners permit today and my dad took me out driving this evening.

I hate driving.

Not so much the actual driving part, but the variable of not knowing what the heck the other dude is doing, and why he is doing it.

Also probably need to have my eyes checked, my right eye is noticably weaker than my left, which I proved by attempting to do a little sidewalk driving :p

Ah well, I start drivers school in a couple weeks. Hopefuly it will be a bit easier :p

16. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

When I did my lessons, I got through them fairly quick as I had done loads of driving sincd Iwas 14, my uncle has a farm in Scotland, and I always drove the tractors, vans, car's, quads etc.
    But I don't think my instructor was prepared for this, when I jumped in his car (VW Golf 1.9 TDi, extremly quick for a Diesel) and ragged the hell out of it.
    Passed my test first time then did my Pass Plus, and he had a go at me for doing 110mph to over take 3 lorries! But after a week of getting my first car I wrote it off!

17. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

I pass 2 weeks ago with 4 minors :D

Would have been 2 but at the end of the test i had to reverse into a parking space in a deserted test centre. The examinor said 'imagine its a very busy car park'. I haven't got a very good imagination so just didn't look round enough :(

18. sonic_87

sonic_87 What's a Dremel?

Hi Dudes i am 17 in June i am saveing up for a little mini 1275cc :hehe: ma dads lernt me how to drive and well i can drive on PRIVATE roads :D just have to take a few lessions and i am hopeing ill pass 1st time :thumb: ill keep ya posted. Also whats the cheapest car to insure these days :eyebrow: any way gtg thanks sonic

19. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

the drivings the easy bit the hardest bit is the constantly awarness thing. and the confidence to go a t juctions and assess situations quickey

20. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Man it must suck over there to get a license. I took drivers education in school. Took the school cars out. My test was at 530 in the morning. But hey I passed dang it. I love driving now. Yeah the other drivers are always idiots, must be something to do with the water. But I still have a blast topping out my speedometer, with my friends holding on and praying. So fun. And so far only 1 accident and one citation. Now thats good luck right there.