1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding LED fan problem - no light ?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Goreblast, 2 Jun 2004.

1. Goreblast

Goreblast What's a Dremel?

Hi

Got a case with 3 Akasa LED green fans in the side panel as an intake - all are powered off one molex in a tree wiring fashion. All three spin as they should, but only two light up perfect, the other either doesnt light or lights a bit - ie not any where near as bright as the other two. Any ideas?

Now I should add that due to the arrangement of the fans I have had to remove (via :dremel: ) the fan mounts at opposite corners, ie each fan has only 2 screw mounts and the fan looks more diamond shaped. I may have cut a wire? Or it may be just a faulty fan - was only a few quid so I could replace it - just would like to try and fix it first.

Suggestions?

2. Mecha_Mindslayer

Mecha_Mindslayer Banned

Does the faulty fan spin as normal?

3. Goreblast

Goreblast What's a Dremel?

Yep it does ... just checked

4. Zogthetroll

Zogthetroll What's a Dremel?

are the fans hooked up to the 12v line? check the voltage the fan is getting, on my previous pc, the led fans would run fine at 7v but not light up at all.

5. Bmw M3

Bmw M3 What's a Dremel?

try powering the dicky fan on its own with out the other 2 if it lights there you go its dividing to much power from one connector but i doubt its that i recon you might have nipped the ribbon around the fan, i belive akasa fans the led work in parralel so if you cut one of the led tracks you cut them all unlike some fans like K+M and the Xmod UV fans which run in serial.

hope that helps

6. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I'm not sure how antec insulate their LED's, but just check there's no metal or screws touching any of the wiring around the perimeter of the fan.

I once put an LED fan in a tightly fitting space in a PC where both sides were pressed against metal, which consequently shorted the LED's out. No damage was done though.