1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics led info!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dudeyourmomiscute!, 26 Dec 2003.

1. dudeyourmomiscute!

dudeyourmomiscute! New Member

just need some quick resistor info on leds, just a pic of where the resistor goes and what kind of resistor, thx guys!

Tim

2. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

We need to know what type of LED you're using (i.e. it's voltage and current specifications) and your supply voltage before anything can be calculated.

3. bren2

bren2 New Member

Don't forget the number of LEDs as well!

4. dudeyourmomiscute!

not sure what leds to pick.. but it's 2 per spot.

i need some bright leds, cana nyong recommend a voltage and size?

5. Shogun

Shogun Banned

Leds come in two main sizes that are used by modders, 3mm and 5mm. The rating of brightness of an LED is noted in mcd's. The higher the mcd rating, the brighter the LED will be. Almost all LEDs are made to run at 3.3v. This can be acheived by splicing into the 3.3v line on the psu (i did this, but it was complicated so it is not recommended) or attaching the led to the 5v or 12v line. Different value resistors are needed depending on which voltage line you decide to use. A place to get some cheap LEDs are www.lsdiodes.com

I have not personally ordered off them yet but i have heard many good things about them. If you could tell use what you wanted the leds for, i can recommend the best brightness.

6. dudeyourmomiscute!

plexyi case feet bottoms, my case is an antec soho file server enclosure, i wanted to mod them so that the blue leds shine through and make the feet bottoms glow.

Tim

7. Bildonia

Bildonia New Member

yeah...i was thinking of doing that to my case too...it has foggy white feet on it...anyways...i drew up a drawing that is very simple to understand...

[​IMG]

the top object is the molex connector inside the computer...you can use either the 12V (YELLOW) or 5V (RED) rail...but whatever voltage you use...make sure you use a ohm calculator to see what ohm resistor you should use...the resistor in the picture is the orange rectangles...you put them on the POSITIVE leg of the LED and connect it to the supply voltage...then you take the NEGATIVE leg of the LED and connect it to a ground wire (BLACK WIRE). The LONGER leg of the LED is the POSITIVE wire. Hope this helps.

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I can't think of any leds designed to run at 3.3v. Reds will likely burn out and blues will be very dim.

Find some leds of the right colour and brightness, read the spec, then use linear's calculator to find the resistor needed.

9. Bildonia

Bildonia New Member

i have 3 blue leds on my computer that are designed at 3.3V. They are 5mm ones and are like 4000mcd

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

If the information is as accurate as this from Directron
    take it I'm wrong. ;)