1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED popping

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Cheese, 29 May 2002.

1. Cheese

Cheese Doc

2. Meblin

Meblin Supposed IR God!

Very nice :D

Try to turn up the voltage slower and it might blow again.

I think that you need to practice your experimental record keeping if you want to pass your course this year :D :hehe: :p

3. linear

linear Minimodder

[to the tune of "The Ballad of Jed Clampett"]
    [apologies to Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs]

Come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Cheese,
    Decided he would blow up a few LEDs
    He took an LED and he jammed it in a book
    He cranked up the current and it started to cook

dissipate power that is
    vee times eye

Well the next thing you know that diode's gettin hot
    You may think it's funny but it's actually not
    The LED's a glowin' and there ain't no doubt
    before much longer, the lights are goin out

photoelectric effect that is
    phonon assisted electron-hole recombintions due to momentum conservation

Well it heats up so much that the photoelectric effect
    It just stops a-working and the diode is wrecked
    So be careful younguns, don't be tryin this at home
    the sudden thermal stress might shatter your dome

splode that is
    blowed up real good
    y'all be careful, you hear?

4. afen

afen cyb0r p1mp

cool... fire.... (insert beavis laugh here)

5. G8way

G8way What's a Dremel?

try starting it at 12V :p

6. dakar

dakar What's a Dremel?

Linear - n., slang - a nickname given to someone with FAR too much time thier hands for thier own good, generally resulting in the formation of peculiar lyrics to familiar songs.

7. Mark R

Mark R What's a Dremel?

I tried this with some green and red ones many years ago - except I used 240 V AC.

Initially, I tried this with resistors - but the resistors exploded. So I tried later with just the LEDs.

Red ones flashed incredibly bright, made a violent crackling noise, and then went out, and were left completely black.

Green ones flashed, and exploded - the top half of the LED flying off across the room.

I haven't tried this again, and I wouldn't recommend that you do.

8. flibble666

flibble666 sorry i am dyslexic

i am sorry for b in rude but i have bin doing a elec corse for 3years i blow 1 led it the first day and have never dun 1 a-gen it aint that hard use the resistor calc

9. Cheese

Cheese Doc

GunGuy how is that rude?

No one ever said that powering LED's properly was difficult... the aim of the article was solely to show why it's important.

Also unlike you and me I'd say a good percentage of people on these boards haven't done much/any electronics before case modding :)

r.

10. flibble666

flibble666 sorry i am dyslexic

ah but i also had not dun and elec work befor bt
    one's ya pop ya STOP

0===lazer=eye=mod=====
    |<
    /\

11. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

I was messing with that and took a led up to 12volts and all i could get was smoke and black plastic, how did you get it to explode? im jealous :) j/k

I did get a resistor to explode using a soldering iron

make sure you use safety glasses and are supervised by an adult when recreating that experiment :)

12. jamnog

jamnog Guest

ive done capasitors

we had an assignment that involved testing to destruction. the idea was that you blow the things up and statistically analise or something i failed my hnd in electronic/mechatronic engeneering but it was fun. all legit component manufacutrurs blow thease things up (on in say 200 or something). lucky for me i test hybrids

13. chopsuwe

chopsuwe What's a Dremel?

Led wars are fun. Get a 6 way power board and fill all the plugs with leds. Then point it at someone, plug it into the mains (230V) and switch on.

BTW: 3mm leds work the best.

14. G8way

G8way What's a Dremel?

Sounds more like a fire hazard :worried:

15. PillPu$her

PillPu$her What's a Dremel?

LED and Fiber Optic Questions

I've read a couple of how-to's where the instructions for a mod state that an LED was drilled and then fiber optic cable was inserted. Does this mean a hole was drilled through to the inner cavity of the LED, or just part way through the plastic? Also, do you think using 2mm fiber optic cable with a 3mm, 10mA LED in this manner would cast light forward (like a miniature flashlight or an LED) or just show a pinpoint at the end? Specifically, I want to send light from numerous LEDs mounted on a circuit board to light up another small area of my case, so I don't want to use them as just indicators.

16. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

They just drilled a little hole real close to the center without actually disturbing any of the contacts inside - and about the light at the end, it will be just a small dot - not enough to actually shine out, just enough to see it.

17. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Yep and I agree I wouldn't use it for lighting but it would be fine as an indicator... you can have a play though ;)

r.

18. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

I don't know if anyone will care, but an LED is a nonlinear device. The current increses exponentally with respect to the applied voltage. If anyone is really interested, I'll post the equation.

As for causing the LEDs to explode, you simply need to give them more current. Every LED is different, so I can't say this will always work, but if you take a really big capacitor (a couple thousand microfarads) and charge it to the desired voltage, then connect across that charged capacitor, it should provide a big enough spike of current to blow the LED up.
    Just don't have the supply connected when you do this, and have wires and switches to handle the large current spike. If what I said makes absolutly no sence whatsoever, then I do not suggest trying this. A large capacitor with even a few volts charge in it can be very dangerous.

19. linear

linear Minimodder

Welcome to the boards.

I care. :D Actually, the diode equation is all but useless, since you don't know the 'ideality factor' (n) in general. Good to see someone else that's been through physical electronics though.

20. chopsuwe

chopsuwe What's a Dremel?

Hey nice to see someone who knows what they are talking about. It gets a bit frustrating having to keep things simple all the non educated ones.

Tags: Add Tags