1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors LED replacement bulbs - NOT HID

Discussion in 'General' started by Sentinel-R1, 24 Nov 2015.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

You should be ashamed of yourself for cheating the MOT system and dazzling the other drivers. :nono:

When I see another driver like that, I always flash my main beam at them if possible (not near a junction). Knowingly blind on-coming drivers is worse than speeding! :miffed:

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Is that worse than the people who drive cars with one working headlight? Come cars (i think french things) compensate by putting the one remaining bulb on full beam which is great to drive toward

3. wyx087

One working headlight could be due to the other one just blew a moment ago.

Knowingly blind the other drivers is very different and infinitely worse, especially by fitting non-compliant bulbs and knowingly cheat MOT.

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

As long as you're ok, right !!!

5. creative

creative 500rwhp

Says the person that knowingly puts his full beam on to 'blind the other driver' :rolleyes:

Also they are HID's, what is flashing your main beam at them going to make them do? Its not like they can jump out of the car alter the light and carry on?

I ran HID's in the ute for 2 years without much issue. I changed the direction so they were pointing down though to help minimize blinding anyone. Those few that did try to blind me by putting their high beams on got full HID Hi beams back. i was running 50w hi/lo and 70w Hi so it looked like daylight when on Hi! :D ( mind you, if i was stopped to be checked over the HID's would of been the last of my worries.... :D )

so yep, I have been 'that guy'. Did I care I was? Nope. And from now onwards all my cars will have HID's.

6. wyx087

The road is meant to be shared, having compliant lighting is not only for your protection, but also to make sure other drivers will not cause an accident due to being blinded.

There's a difference between a friendly reminder flash of main beam, and full on HID in the eyes for the duration of driving towards eachother. How does putting on your HID main beam going to resolve anything apart from blinding the poor driver even more? Are you trying to assert your manliness by compensating for something?

Actually, just seen you are on the other side of the world. Thankfully you don't live in UK, please refrain yourself from buying a car where I live. Thanks.

7. legoman

Very true, but youd be surprised how many people use the defense of "I didnt know it had gone" Years back I did recovery work we used to carry a pile of cheap lucas bulbs in various fittings as a duty of care on breakdowns. It doesnt help though how hard it can be now to change a bulb.

Cars are becoming more compact when you open the bonnet so clearances come down I remember reading about a megane took a qualified roadside mechanic who knew how to change the bulb 45 minutes. Some cars in the manuals just say "refer to dealer" or dont tell you. You can see why people get lazy.
    That, the perceived coolness of white/blue/purple lights an the fact that everyone seems to be getting brighter lights its almost becoming a keep up with the Jones's.

8. creative

creative 500rwhp

No argument with that. You are right. Thats why I am 'That guy' and I can live with that.

from the highway code...

So two wrongs dont make a right... but its ok for you to do it.

No. My 500hp, supercharged V8 does that for me so I dont need the HID's for compensation, ( why do people always resort to comparing anatomy if people dis agree ... I guess thats just the internets.. :rolleyes: ) I actually have them so I can see on unlit roads for kangaroos and other wildlife .... (That last bit isnt sarcasm by the way, they really do jump out at you!) :D

But maybe you also flashing high beam may also possibly blind me.... again two wrongs.

Your safe. I certainly have no interest in returning to the UK so you can drive worry free. :D

Dont get me wrong, I am not saying HID's are right/correct/legal/yadada. I want as much light as possible so I can see my surroundings. I am comfortable with the fact I may cause a minor inconvenience to other users in the seconds we pass.

Last edited: 27 Nov 2015
  9. wyx087

Fair enough, just don't go installing HID into non-compliant housing like Puk. (I had you confused with Puk in my last post)

Although if seeing the wildlife is your goal, then why does dipped beam have to be super bright?

I don't agree with this attitude. You are responsible for making sure your light doesn't blind the other drivers.

10. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Wow, that's a pretty arrogant attitude, and a dangerous one at that.
    In the vein of forum harmony I won't spell out my what I actually think.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I believe a few cars in the Renault range require a much larger disassembly than most people would be happy with to change the bulb. I've heard something about a wing or a bumper needing to come off, but I only remember laughing and walking away at that point, sooo...

12. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

It's not lazy people, more that the majority of people aren't confident enough to disassemble the parts within an engine bay they need to just to be able to change a bulb.

When you add in being alone, on the side of the road and in darkness, that makes the prospect even less appealing.

To change the dipped or main beam bulbs in my Civic you have to take out the battery out! I'm a competent home mechanic and it's certainly not something I'd want to do at the side of the road in darkness. You'd need a work-light to be able to see into the engine bay and a spanner/ratchet set to undo the battery terminals/clamping bar which aren't things most people own let alone carry in their boot.

Last edited: 27 Nov 2015
  13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Odd, I didn't when I swapped my high beams last month, and I've got proper sized hands.

14. legoman

What you dont carry that in your boot? :D Suppose the joys of a layered boot ive a socket set some common spanners a breaker bar inspection light and other bits stashed in there. Breaker bars mainly as I despise the stupid wheel braces you get with cars, their only useful for bludgeoning people.

I can see what you mean though most people will see a bulbs out an you only tend to need them in the dark so they will go home and replace it in the daylight. Not only that if its foul weather. I took a fiend to an underground carpark to change a dipped bulb on her 09 Focus didnt fancy chancing a flappy bonnet either coming down on me or slamming over onto the windscreen.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's true. When I had a Honda Civic I had to dislodge and move the battery to get to the left headlight. And I'm not known for having coal shovel hands.

16. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Same for my year impreza too. You can change the left hand main beam bulb without obstruction, but you need Oompaloompa hands to change the dipped bulb without removing the battery and brace. R/H light, no issues at all.

However, when it comes to sidelight bulbs.... :wallbash: The entire light cluster has to come out to fit them, which means slacking off the front bumper in order to remove them. I'd love to meet the designer and shake him by the hand.... No.... no, I mean NECK.